1973 Ford F250 4x4 Highboy - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 136114
1973 Ford F250 4x4 Highboy

Hello all,

I am very seriously considering purchasing a 1973 Ford F250 Highboy and I'm hoping to be able to depend on the thing to drive 1 mile to and 1 mile from work everyday, while I slowly chip away at repairing it and getting into a condition I feel good about. The truck I'm looking at has a great body, with almost no dents and almost no rust. It seems to run pretty good and I cannot feel any issues in the drive train. I don't have experience driving any vehicle this old though, so I don't have the experience I'd need to clearly draw that conclusion either. Basically, I'm hoping you folks might help me out with some simple things I should pay attention to and look for before laying down the $$$ for the beast. Also, once I do find the right 1973 F250, what are some suggestions you folks would give me as far as where to start in the process of repairing or replacing functional, but old parts? Thanks for any and all information and advice. It's very much appreciated!!! Also, it has a 390 V8. I'm not 100% sure of the transmission, transfer case or axle configuration.

Last edited by HecktorKamacho; 06-05-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add engine specs...
HecktorKamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 73465
Hey Macho,

The engine is most likely a 360. the only way to know is check the stroke. Since it is visually identical many try to pass it off as a 390.

Where are you and where is the truck? The problems you will see are different based on what part of the country you are in... Here it is salt and RUST... Where you are,it may be not as significant.

For a DD, brakes and oil leaks are the biggest issues. The Tcase is solid. What tranny do you have? Most likely an NP435 if std. What front axle - Most likely a D44, but look to see if it is open or closed knuckle. Rear axle is supposed to be a D60.

The biggest issue with helping you with these questions is that after 35 years there potential for non-stock swaps is too great.

Tell us more and we can offer more help.

r/

eric

[QUOTE=nahmus;10554695]This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by 71PA_Highboy; 06-05-2009 at 04:55 AM. Reason: rear axle
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 71891
it's 36 years old. it's gunna break down. if you aren't used to old car/trucks you are used to modern cars that just work, all the time. this truck wont.

it's a great truck if it's been taken care of. and it will be much easier to work on than anythign new. unless you live in the rust belt. if the price seems good go for it.

at this age everything on the truck could be worn out. so replacing "functional but old parts" is gunna be the entire truck and willl bankrupt you. drive it. when something breaks, fix it. repeat
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 33043
My 75 runs all day every day, of course you would be hard pressed to find a part from 75 still on it, and I do a minimum of 4 hours of maint and upgrade work every month.
RockHind is offline   Reply With Quote