Questions about Smog Delete - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 68844
Questions about Smog Delete

I have a 1990 F350XL 4x4 5 speed w/ a fuel injected 351 Windsor. It is completely factory with 80,028 miles on it. It does not have A/C. I am getting ready to install headers on it and I am trying to figure out how much of the smog stuff I can get rid of, and what I need to keep in order for the engine to run correctly. I am in a state that doesn't do smog tests, and even if they did, its an off-road only truck. Any help is appreciated.
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
Start w the air pump and go from there. Anything connected to the air pump can also go. Get a belt for a 302 of the same year, it's 2" shorter (93.5" vs 91.5" IIRC) and will fit perfectly w/out the air pump.

It's been so long, I can't remember all that I tore off my '90 351 but it frees up lots of room in the engine compartment and simplifies it visually, as well as making changing plugs a lot easier.

While you're at it no need to have the coolant running thru the tb, just more hoses to fail.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 68844
Yeah, that's another one I plan to deal with. I was wondering about the EGR valve. I have heard that the computer needs the reading from that for some reason. I am really hoping that I can delete everything except the o2 sensor on the exhaust side of the smog junk. I know the engine uses the o2 sensor to determine how much fuel, and uses the coolant temp sensor sort of for a cross refrence for almost the same purpose.
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
dont know why... unless its some new hippie tree hugger brady campaign sissy ass bedwetter gun control nanny state facist orwellian barbara streisand law that just passed....
redpitbull44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Dirt Engineer

Member # 23542
Quote:
Originally Posted by D60 View Post
While you're at it no need to have the coolant running thru the tb, just more hoses to fail.
Why does the coolant pass through the TB anyway?
Clodhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 122566
dont get rid of the egr system. it makes your engine run much more efficient. they got a bad rap from the 70s and early 80s experimenting
superd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 125656
There is nothing efficient about recirculating a waste by-product that CANNOT support combustion in any way.

Anyone ever see an intake manifold after 100k of EGR???

I equate EGR to a person smoking cigs for 20 years, Cig smoke contains tar, cant support respiration, and slowly cloggs your lungs.

EGR contains hot waste gas that combines in the intake with oil to form what looks like tar, cant support combustion, and will leave diposits on everything (aveoli in your lungs??)

Its not just a failed expreiment from the 70's and 80's, it still sucks FUCK EGR!!!

Every single one of my vehicles is missing its EGR crap, breathe in my NOx Fucktart!!!!!
DieselHilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87058
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselHilux View Post
There is nothing efficient about recirculating a waste by-product that CANNOT support combustion in any way.

I equate EGR to a person smoking cigs for 20 years, Cig smoke contains tar, cant support respiration, and slowly cloggs your lungs.

EGR contains hot waste gas that combines in the intake with oil to form what looks like tar, cant support combustion, and will leave diposits on everything (aveoli in your lungs??)

Its not just a failed expreiment from the 70's and 80's, it still sucks FUCK EGR!!!

Every single one of my vehicles is missing its EGR crap, breathe in my NOx Fucktart!!!!!
It would seem to me that the computer calculates a/f ratio based on intake air volume expecting that a certain contribution from the EGR exists. Would this be self-correcting based on the fact that the blocked off EGR would be fully compensated for by what would obviously be a larger air intake for the same load/rpm?

I'm sure its not a factor for you given your intent, but ditch the EGR and plan on losing a lot of MPG. For whatever effect the EGR has on reduced toxin emissions, the primary function of EGR is replacing engine displacement needed for acceleration but not needed for light load, thus reducing unnecessary fuel consumption overall.

It would seem to me you would be better off installing some sort of aftermarket competition system rather than ripping off all the stuff the stock computer gets inputs from. By the time your are done tricking it or reprogramming it to work well in all situations, it might be worth the cost of a new computer designed to be customized. Just guessing. Don't know what the actual cost would be for either.
JGVABronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 122566
Quote:

your a bad-ass computer gansta calling me a fucktart.
every single one of your brain cells is missing

the egr gases lower your combustion temperature
which-tada makes a more efficient power

the op wanted to know what to keep for his engine to run CORRECTLY
so unless you have use-full information to call me out with STFU
superd02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Send a message via AIM to GTOffroader
Quote:

I think you should delete your testicles too because you're obviously retarded and shouldn't be breading.
GTOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 125656
You can remove everything that has to do with emissions control <----To the O.P.

Lowering combustion temps does not make a more efficient engine, and even if it did, it comes at the cost of loading up the intake with tar and slugde that will reduce then engines efficiency and then some.

To GTOffroader- you should delete your dick because your balls will only produce another dickhead like you.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Well Done Man!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn Send a message via AIM to welndmn Send a message via Yahoo to welndmn
What do you think you will gain by removing it all?
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71185
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
What do you think you will gain by removing it all?
Every truck I remember that had this done to picked up both power and mileage, converter/exhaust on those trucks was pretty restrictive.

For the EGR delete,http://rjminjectiontech.com/?p=9

Last edited by brewchief; 06-15-2009 at 08:48 PM.
brewchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 119250
LOL, egr creating more power?! i have heard it all, I think you might be confusing it with alcohol, water or meth injection.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodhopper View Post
Why does the coolant pass through the TB anyway?
EGR moves hot exhaust gas into the intake at the throttle body,
the coolant is to cool the gas a bit so the tb doesnt cook.
if you remove the egr you can remove the coolant.

EGR systems provide a cheap way to raise octane tolerance
if the system if functioning properly it wont take cost you power at WOT

as for a start point, removing the air pump is not the first thing to do.
the cat requires that air, so if you remove that you willbe plugging the cat.
first thing to go has to be the cat, then the air injection system serves no purpose

as to the tar complaint, I think you are thinking about PCV systems
mj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 18324
The EGR helps fuel milage and engine ping at low and mid throttle. IT IS OFF AT WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! Let me say this again it does not effect power at all at wide open throttle because the ECM shuts it off, so their is no reason out side of engine clutter to remove it as it does more good than harm.
Leadmic
leadmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
D60
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6398
My air pump's been gone for about 10 years now. If my cat clogged up it did so so slowly I never noticed. No loss of mpg, either. Ditto for disabled EGR, for which I used an early prototype of the RJM link above. I do get an occasional CEL, but I can't be sure it's due to the EGR/EVP delete. No loss of mileage after EGR delete.

IME with anything like this you've just gotta try it. There's a lot of theory that doesn't work out in practice. I'm a minimalist and the more unnecessary shit I can remove from my rig the better.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 125656
****FOR THE MORONS ON THIS THREAD****

I NEVER SAID REMOVING THE EGR WILL GET YOU POWER OR MILEAGE!!!

I REMOVED IT BECAUSE I DONT WANT MY ENGINE GETTING PLUGGED UP WITH SHIT AND

EXHAUST HAS NO PLACE IN A GOD DAMN INTAKE MANIFOLD!!!

Now with that said, fuck egr and whatever EPA piece of shit that came up with the NOx Laws.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 137313
when you start removing stuff from emissions it may put you computer in limp mode and cause all kinds of havaoc, if your gonna do it anyways why not just do it all; D.U.I. distributor, cam, intake, carb. seems that would be the route to go if i had to do. hell edelbrock sells a top end kit if you wanting just power heads cam intake you supply carb and headers and its supposed to be well over 400 hp and about $1800 goodluck which ever route you choose.
trail*ridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 137706
Ive got a 94 onefiddy with the 351w. i left my egr. but all the other smog pump stuff is long gone. plugged the vaccum lines. I left the smog pump on but gutted it, just took it apart and removed everthing from the inside. the shorter belt was too short and was puttin to much tension on every thing. i dont run a cat either. as for the coolant going thur the tb its to warm it up so it doesnt freeze up. it happened to me and i live in vegas. Also i never had any problems with going into limp mode. i got 1 -2 mpg more for free.

Last edited by WhiteoneFiddy; 06-21-2009 at 12:15 AM.
WhiteoneFiddy is offline   Reply With Quote