Can i salvage this a4ld? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Can i salvage this a4ld?

I'm not a tranny guy and could use some wisdom here.
Bought this 91 explorer 4.0 4wd with the trans on the ground. It was given to the kid I bought it from, due to trans issues. He drove it home, had to 2foot it at stops otherwise it would stall, said it shifted and drove fine otherwise, drove it maybe 10 miles home and yanked the trans. Lost interest, workspace, etc. I have a 2wd trans with low miles. I was planning on gutting it and stuffing everything into the 4wd case with the output shaft. I did some research, and it looks like it might just be the TC, or a solenoid, or a gunked up valve body issue. The TC is blue with paint marker on it, I'm thinking its a reman, tho the trans doesn't look like its been opened up.

What I need is the cheap and easy fix. I did a ton of searching, but didn't find anything specific to the A4LD, it looks like its in the TC or TCC control circuit. The seller said the fluid looked good, I havn't pulled the pan yet, but what leaked out while moving it looked old but not necessarily burnt or contaminated.

What direction(s) should I go from here?
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41653
honestly...5spd...

sounds like either a vac leak...or the converter is shot..

new ones fairly cheap...$169...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Displ...ycleCount=2535

I would put that in...and try it...pull the pan and drain and change the filter and fluid...

be sure to fill the conveter with fluid befor you install it..and keep spinning and seating the converter into the trans till you cant get your finger behind it at the starter hole...

the converters seat far enough they barley touch the flywheel when seated and the trans/engine faces touching..

and IF its not the converter (still doesnt act right)...it is something in the valvebody..and a rebuild is fairly cheap...

yea right..

"They are little angels but they are trying to fuck the wings off each other!"
--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman
wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 52361
The 5spd swap is definately a better end result, but I need to piece this one together fast/cheap. Long story short, this explorer is hopefully going to be the source of $$ to buy 20yds of concrete so I don't have to work in the %#^%ing dirt anymore. I'm thinking I'd use the TC and the VB off of the 2wd, in the 4wd trans and stuff it in. Is there anything I should be looking for while I have the trans out and the pan off? The 2wd ran and drove before the drivetrain was pulled.
Thanks!
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote