EB coilover rates - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
EB coilover rates

So I've been searching and reading for days about bronco weights and spring rates and still haven't made up my mind. I've never weighed my eb and it's sitting on jackstands at the moment so it would be pretty hard but I'll give the general specs if anyone has an idea. efi 5.8/c4/d20 , light front bumper, light winch w/synthetic rope, al radiator and a steering box up front. 14 gallon fuel cell in the rear, batt in the rear, no top but quite a few tools. Bronco has most of it's body and quite a bit of tube, so I'm guessing high 4000's? Drivetrain is d44/9" with beadlocked 36's.

Now the question...I'm running 2.5 16" travel coilovers in the front with 4" airbumps and 14" coilovers with timbrens and a swaybar in the rear. Plan on going fast with it eventually and want to know what people recommend for dual rate spring rates front and rear? Already have 350 over 450 springs for the front but am thinking that's too stiff?
Was thinking 350 over 200 for the front and 250 over 150 for the rear. Anyone see any problems with this? Should I go softer? Street driving isn't an issue.

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 112072
I would guess that you're at the high end of the 4000's for weight.

That said, I think I would come up with the same numbers for coil rates as you did.
soylent_green is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45521
The bronco in my sig has 2.5x16's with 250's/150's in the rear and 500's/150's in the front and seems to do well sitting with about 5" of up travel at ride height.
almostthere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 14685
Send a message via AIM to braxton357
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
The bronco in my sig has 2.5x16's with 250's/150's in the rear and 500's/150's in the front and seems to do well sitting with about 5" of up travel at ride height.
I try and refrain from looking at pictures of your bronco. It makes me want to cut mine up too much. Trying to keep it light.

Any reason why you went with such a huge step up on the front shock (150-500)? Looks like going with 200's over 350s would give me close to the same primary rate. Am looking for about 6-7" of uptravel myself. How does yours do at speed?

70 turbocharged 351w fastback mustang
73 linked 5.8efi Bronco
99 QCLB 4x4 twin'd cummins on meth.
braxton357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 45521
I went with what the guys at offroad engineering advised and have been pretty happy. It does pretty well at moderate speed, it doesn't see much faster than 45 often. They dont ever really bottom out no matter how big the hit is. I probably need to try some different springs just to see, this is my first experience with coilovers.
almostthere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.