Skid plates for Fullsize Bronco - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2002, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6444
Skid plates for Fullsize Bronco

Did a search for skid plates and it didn't come up with anything..

was wondering if any of you guys had pictures of the plates you guys have..

I'd like to make a plate for my gas tank, that also connects to the rear bumper so it has somthing to slide on intead of just falling onto a flat spot and damaging stuff.

Also thinking of doing a plate that goes about 6" back from the Tcase and the covering all of the tranny. IS there a problem with cutting a slot for drive shafts. I havn't looked but does the drive shaft move side to side very much? I have a TTB up front,.

need somthing up front also. Not sure what exactly to do up there...

Thanks for all the information, if ya know of anywhere that sells skid plates for broncos can ya please post it. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 9261
What the hell are you doing here?

I think you should talk to Bronco78 cause he just did it for his 78 around the gas tank. The driveshaft should not be moving side to side more than the play that you will get out of your rubber TTB bushing mount at the crossmember. Perhaps an 1/4" to 1/2" max I would think. bcbroncos.com has a setup for Early Broncos but I dont know about the full size later ones. You might have to talk to Dave and get him under the Bronco!!!

Chad
Old 09-27-2002, 05:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6444
I've been on here for awhile just don't post much. To much damned info and can usually find what I'm looking for.

ya I could have Dave look at it but I only have 50-60 years left man

I just was wondering what others did with their fullsizes. I can find EB stuff all day long.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 6350
Phill, you have but two choices.

Buy your self a torch and welder and make you’re own, or cal up your local Bronco fabrication shop and strike a deal with them…. As for Dave not rushing around to fix your junk for ya……. I think your getting the level of customer service your paying for……and umm, have Dave or I every submitted a bill for services rendered???

Any way…..build or have built are the only choices, I’ve never seen or heard of what your looking for pre-made.

So, on to the building:

Yes the DS moves laterally, especially so at the dif end. How much, I'm not sure,, I’ve never looked. But the axle housing does not rotate in that axis perfectly. SO some side to side movement is going to happen. Chad may be correct, it may only be .5”, but I’d check before working up a design.

Look at the products for a EB, same basic layout as a Full size just larger.

The tank plate I made

Gas Tank Skid plate

Was made in two afternoons. All from mild steel flat plate, 3/16 and 10Ga. It has ½” air gap between it and the tank for clean out and protection when smacking a rock.

Get your ideas together, talk to Dave or somebody about them and the materials needed, then take the plans, vehicle and thoughts of materials to the fabricator of your choice. Maybe hit up Frank and Cole for some assistance. There are lots of guys in town that can stick two pieces of steel together sufficiently enough for what your looking for. Just need ideas, money and some time, more money=less time
[url="http://www.outbackchallenge.com"]Australian Outback Challenge
[/url]
bronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6444
Hey Erik, I have a Welder and a torch. I'm just trying to get ideas of what stuff to do... Which I figured this would be a great place to find pictures of stuff others have done with their broncos.

As for you or Dave not running over to work on my bronco.. I havae only asked you like twice for help, you came over once pulled on a tire and we BSed for a bit.. The second time you said no. I was find with that did the work myself. And I've only asked Dave for help once, pressing on my bearings.. Other then the 2 little things that should have never happened on the trail... I would be more then willing to pay you guys to help me out. So where would you like me to send you the bill for your help?

And the thing about dave looking under my bronco.. IT was a joke. We both know how he is about suggesting things and finding stuff that needs to be fixed or modified. It would probably take me a few years to do all the stuff he would suggest.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 6350
Quote:
Originally posted by Sargon
Hey Erik, I have a Welder and a torch. I'm just trying to get ideas of what stuff to do... Which I figured this would be a great place to find pictures of stuff others have done with their broncos.
Cool, so your building your own stuff now.. You'll have a blast and learn alot.

Quote:

As for you or Dave not running over to work on my bronco.. I havae only asked you like twice for help, you came over once pulled on a tire and we BSed for a bit.. The second time you said no. I was find with that did the work myself. And I've only asked Dave for help once, pressing on my bearings.. Other then the 2 little things that should have never happened on the trail... I would be more then willing to pay you guys to help me out. So where would you like me to send you the bill for your help?
LOL, ok ok, I was including the times we worked on it on the trail, and no payment was required, asked for, or needed... The point was, when the help your getting is free, it kind of goes at the pace of the one doing the work.

Quote:

And the thing about dave looking under my bronco.. IT was a joke. We both know how he is about suggesting things and finding stuff that needs to be fixed or modified. It would probably take me a few years to do all the stuff he would suggest.
Well I'm sure he would be more than happy to no longer look at, work on, or make suggestions in reference to your bronco. But I thought we were talking about skid plates, I would think, knowing him like I do, if you were to ask about that, you would get some input directly... But by all means, if you do not like it when he points out things that are in need of maintenance or recommends mods... Find somebody else.

I do not think you will find much in the way of custom built skid plates for a BB, you might, and I would love to see um also... But why??? have you recently hit something? TC, Trans? I think a guard form the rad and fan like I did is a good idea, and of course the gas tank.. But what else are you looking to protect, and is it worth the time money, effort and weight? Do you have any marks on your TC or trans.. That might be the most important item for your modal to look at, after gas tank...

Make a card board template, frame rail, down, across and underneath the TC, than back up.6 pieces of 3/16 sheet, which you can have sheared pretty cheep, just call around.. Or better yet, make the mock up, and have some place bend it up for you from 3/16. Weld on a bar, tube or angle lip to the lead and trail of the plate to keep it from flexing too much, and keep it for turning in to a shovel in the mud.Cool, so your building your own stuff now.. You'll have a blast and learn alot.
[url="http://www.outbackchallenge.com"]Australian Outback Challenge
[/url]
bronco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10165
I have made a couple of skid plates for mine. Hit the link below and check them out on my page if ya want.
Old 09-28-2002, 08:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6444
Well Erik ya I have seemed to hit alot with my TCase skid plate.. It's a big upside down "V" rounded off edges.. Kinda makes me thing I hit a rock or 2 or 3

And I'm not to overly worried about weight. Why should I be? Hell I get stuck alot now whats and extra few pounds..? Oh and Dave was the one that suggested the tranny skid plate