Pirate 4x4 banner

Couple quick EB questions

920 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  crashnzuk 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I did some searchin' but didn't come up with anything definitive. Here goes. I am helping a buddy with his 72 EB. He bought an H.0. 5.0 from a 91? Lincoln Mark VII?. Will the serpentine belt set-up on this thing work out? It doesn't look like it's gonna leave much room for a radiator. He lives kinda far from me, so I can't just go and do measuring on a whim. What's the hot set-up? Next question, he wants overdrive but doesn't need a super beefy trans, this will be for hunting and random DD type duties, no hardcore wheelin' so he doesn't need an NV4500 or equivelent. What is a good manual to look for? I was thinking something from a 90s F-150, but don't really know much about Fords so I have no idea what the hell they came with? What do you guys think? I'd appreciate if you guys could help out a Ford 'tard.
Travis..

#8 · (Edited)
will a T5 work? Does he want to stay with the D20?

I would think a ZF5 from a f250 would be a decent transmission for the job, the granny gear would be nice too.
He really doesn't care as long as it's easy and it fits. I'd prefer something that is ready-made since I'm gonna be providing technical assistance and don't have any desire to add difficulty. A ZF would probably be good, but might be overkill for him. Is it very hard to mate a ZF5 with a 5.0?

The Mustang serpentine setup will work. You can usually move the radiator forward a little without much work (relocating a couple brackets). Explorer serpentine is better as its quite a bit more compact and sits much closer to the engine.

ZF transmissions are a good overdrive tranny in an EB, roughly equivalent to an NV4500 but easier to adapt. Another option is the NV3550, its a lighter duty tranny from smaller pickups.

Check out www.classicbroncos.com and www.norcalbroncos.com. Both have a ton of info about both of your questions.
I'll check the links, thanks:grinpimp: I wasn't aware Ford used the NV3550, that might be good?

if he is dead set on this setup then he should run a low pro electric fan, most of the bronco parts vendors are familiar with this problem and offer fans that will fit.
He isn't dead set, but the engine already has it, sooo....

I run a flex fan on the shortest spacer that still allows the fan to clear the pulleys, not much room but it can work, my rad might be a bit ahead as I'm no longer using stock type mounts.

Instead of overdrive he could just run a np435 and run a little taller gear to get the rpms down, mine isn't to bad with 4.10s and 35s.
Are you using the car serp drive set-up? I am gathering that the Lincoln and Mustang are the same? My thoughts were to use a slightly thinner radiator mounted up tight against the core support.

He really kinda wants overdrive. He wants to be able to fly down the freeway and be capable of getting decent fuel mileage. The thing has 3.54s and he only wants to run 33"s. I told him to run a 435, but he doesn't want to be stuck in the slow lane or be stuck with single digit economy.

Thanks for the help so far.
Travis..

#4 ·
The Mustang serpentine setup will work. You can usually move the radiator forward a little without much work (relocating a couple brackets). Explorer serpentine is better as its quite a bit more compact and sits much closer to the engine.

ZF transmissions are a good overdrive tranny in an EB, roughly equivalent to an NV4500 but easier to adapt. Another option is the NV3550, its a lighter duty tranny from smaller pickups.

Check out www.classicbroncos.com and www.norcalbroncos.com. Both have a ton of info about both of your questions.

#7 ·
I run a flex fan on the shortest spacer that still allows the fan to clear the pulleys, not much room but it can work, my rad might be a bit ahead as I'm no longer using stock type mounts.

Instead of overdrive he could just run a np435 and run a little taller gear to get the rpms down, mine isn't to bad with 4.10s and 35s.

#9 ·
The T5 wouldn't be a good choice, it's not very strong and you would have to use a divorce transfer case anyways. The ZF5 was in F250's with the 300-6, 351w and the 5.0, I would imagine it might have been used in the f350's if they used a small block as well. It shouldn't be hard to find one at all.

#10 ·
Well, I gave him a call tonight. He isn't opposed to finding an Exploder serpentine set-up if that'll make life easier.

I did a quick check, and with 33s and his 3.54s, 70 mph will only be 2500ish and he said he could live with that. So, I guess I'll be keeping my eye out for a 435. He also said he wants to keep his dana 20 so he doesn't have to have new driveshafts made or modify anything downstream. Will his dana 20 bolt to any old 4x4 435, or is there one with a specific adapter?

Travis..

#13 ·
Good to know, a 2wd trans should be easier and cheaper to pick up as well.

If he decides to run the explorer front dress I would recommend grabbing the gt40 heads and intake as well, avoid the later gt40p because of header issues.
I'm not up for doing a bunch of engine work here. The engine he has is a good runner, so it's just gonna get sealed up and bolted in.
Travis..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.