Pirate 4x4 banner

35 spline stubs wont fit through my knuckle?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  tuffroadcrazy 
#1 ·
i have a king pin hi pinion ford dana 60. i am upgrading to 35 spline outers.
it has the factory ford 5 stud knuckle on factory c's. i have the dura solid 35 spline stubs with new spindles ready to go on. it seems like the yoke area of the new stubs is too large to fit through the ford knuckle. the stubs dwarf the spicer stuff! i dont wanna take the knuckle off to install it. it would make trail repairs very problematic! the 35 spline spicer inner fits through the knuckle fine. i was told to notch the knuckle to make it fit through. i will probably do that. two 1/4 inch notches should make it fit fine. i dont think it will hurt the strength of the knuckle too much.

anyone else had to do this b4??

#5 ·
82 d60 ford. it appears my stubs have alot of meat around the ujoint caps.
bout 1/4 inch wider than my 35 spline inners, and about 3/8's wider than my 30 spline outers. im gonna notch my knuckle. others have done it with out issue. i dont wanna remove my knuckle in the field every time i break a stub.

#6 ·
Durasolid axles are made in India where the quality control is lacking. The external casting dimensions are wrong. Most of the Dana 60 front shafts they sell do not fit. The Durasolid inner shafts rub on the end of the axle tube and they also bind on the yokes at full turn. They are a low quality copy IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.