Pirate 4x4 banner

Wiring issues 351W

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  blacker 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 F350 that I installed a 1996 351W (over 8500 GVW) motor. Now I am trying to figure out the wiring on it. As of right know the motor still has the 1996 motor harness on it, I have the complete wiring from the 1996 including ECU, Fusebox and so on. I also have a complete motor harness from a 1991 motor with all of the correct plugs and such. Can I put the 1991 wiring harness on the 1996 motor? Also I have de-smogged the motor aswell.

Another problem is that I dont have the wiring from the transmition to the ECU, what problems am I going to have with this?

Ideas?

#2 ·
so was the 96 motor just a bare long block or was it a complete motor and if so what vehicle was it out of?

if it was a bare motor move over all of your previous 91 5.8 stuff to that motor and reuse your 91 harness and computer. you also need to find out if that 96 motor has a roller cam in it because the dizzy you have from the 91 will not have the right type of cam gear.

#6 · (Edited)
yes, 1996 351w are roller cam, and therefore need a steel gear on the distributor.

edit, the easiest way to do this swap is to retro back to a mustang ecu and harness. the distributor will have to be a hybridized truck distributor for a 351w (out of a 90ish bronco or something with a 351w and distributor mounted tfi). You would install a distributor gear from a roller cam mustang onto the truck distributor which would give you one that will work with the 351w and be compatible with the mustang tfi harness. pretty easy stuff. the mustang and 351w share the same dia distributor gear, but the oil pump drive is specific to the 351w.

#7 ·
your 91 was regular cam and map sensor eec 4 system

your 96 is mass air flow eec5 roller cam roller lifter ( some models )

complete different animal my friend.

the cam is also going to be different as well and is you try to use a 91 harness on a 96 engine you will get intermittent idle hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.