Pirate 4x4 banner

Sterling Full Floater hub questions

589 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  82F100SWB 
#1 ·
I have a buddy's 1 Ton Ford axles in my shop for a gear swap and during the maintenance of the axle, we noticed one spindle is leaking. Upon further inspection, it appears that we have an odball hub that has been ground down near the seal area. What they did is press the seal in place, then put a ton of silicone on the outside. The seal has only about half its thickness of hub engagement as the rest has been ground off.

My question is - is there a difference in the right and left hubs on a Sterling axle? I don't specifics on the year of the axle, but will get them and post up.

I need to find a replacement as this hub appears to be completely wrong - it is not allowing the seal to go over the lip of the spindle and ride on the flat seal surface. The seal is actualy running on the edge of the spindle (seal surface) and it has even rounded it off a little. Fact of the matter is, its leaking badly and we want it fixed.

Thanks for your help.

#2 · (Edited)
The hubs are interchangeable side to side. The 94+ axles have a different inner bearing width, AFAIK, the hub will work no problem, but, it will move the WMS a little.
Odds are the existing hub has had the parking brake lever fall against it at some point in time, one of mine is worn similarly for that very reason.
Also, the Sterlings are designed for a seal that rides on itself, not one that seals on the axle surface, they will leak in short order if you put a standard seal in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.