Pirate 4x4 banner

9" axle shaft bearing

692 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  hart7290 
#1 ·
The shaft came out of the housing with a tapered roller bearing as seen in the pic. The race stayed in the end of the housing.

I ordered replacements from Randy's and the bearing in my hand is what they shipped me. (timken ak set20) It doesnt have a seperate race, it is a 'unit bearing' i believe.

I called randys and they say the ak set20 is correct and is the only bearing they offer. I know for a fact I have bought the bearing and race type from Randys in the past. I asked randys tonight if they had that type and they didnt even know what I was talking about, they swear the one in my hand in the pic is all they offer. They even looked up my past orders and say that they sent me the ak set20 last time. But last time they were just like the one on the shaft. Randys tech is usually very knowledgable and i believe them when they say thats all they got.

What is the other type as seen on the shaft in the pic? Did the part change but keep the same part number? Has anyone else ran accross this?

I'll probably just install the new type but I'm curious whats going on. Also whats the easiest way to get the race out of the end of the housing?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd be 100% sure it's a tapered bearing, the race is just stuck on it, with grease.
A sealed bearing has little balls on it, not rollers, it looks really different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.