Pirate 4x4 banner

where is my brake fluid?

795 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  wanderer-RRORC 
#1 ·
No crap, its gone! Really! My '95 F250 (460 auto 4x4) tow rig is missing the brake fluid. I took it to the Ford dealer a few weeks back and told the to give it a good once over. They said that everything is good. Do you believe that, they didn't try to rape me or anything.

The other day, I jumped in and the pedal went to the floor. I checked the fluid and there was only about a 1/4" of fluid in the master.

Now, there is no fluid leaking around the truck. None leaking from the master. None inside the booster. None inside the cab on the plunger rod. None.

I bled the master and the wheels and got pedal pressure back.

What do you think?

#4 ·
Thanks, I didn't think about the rear drum possibility. Its about -5 outside, so I'll pull it inside the hanger and take a wheel off and see.

The brakes are all new condition, The Ford inspection showed them at new/near new. Though I will double check when I have the wheels off.

#5 ·
The brake system is a sealed system so if the fluid is low it is either from badly worn brakes or a leak somewhere. As said above if it isnt an obvious leak then pull the drums. -5 degrees huh, i feel spoiled with our weather now.

#8 ·
if your rear drums are dry...your master cyl is leaking into your brake booster..and ya get to replace BOTH of them...its not too bad of a job...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.