Pirate 4x4 banner

78 F250 Build

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  N_Rod 
#1 ·
Well i'm new here, but I guess i'll start a build thread for my new toy. I've always been a mini truck and muscle car guy so i'm new to the whole 4x4 scene. I've been in the passenger seat for a few years, but I finally bought my own.

This is what I have to start with. It's a 78 250, built 460, .40 over, 520 lift cam, high rise, 4 barrel (the usual stuff...) C6 tranny, 6" lift from a 89 truck, dana 60/70, 36" swampers. It used to be a long bed truck and was shortened. Overall it's a good truck to start with.

So far all i've donr is the usual maintenence stuff. Not completely sure of where im going with this exactly yet. First things are electric fans and a new front drive shaft. Broke it on the first test run. Eventually i'll four link it i'm sure. Power steering is on the list for sure. Roll cage and exo cage aswell.

Here's a few pictures. Also any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Playing in 2 wheel drive is no fun

See less See more
#3 ·
Dude....We all love the 70's F trucks in these parts, however: lose the rear lift blocks, front end looks to me like a D44HD:mad3: low pinion NOT A D60, BBF's can be the shiznit:D. Pull a rear shaft & count the splines, you'll be extremely fortunate if indeed it's a 35 spline. Carry on.

#6 ·
X 2 on losing the blocks in the rear & the front bumper. It looks like it would be level w/o them. Almost looks like the bed is longer behind the wheel than in front so I'd say they took it out of the middle. Too bad if you lose it off the back it really helps aproach angle and you don't have to mess with the frame & driveline other than cutting a little frame off the back.
Cool looking old beater any way!

#8 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. You are right it is a 44 under the front. Further proving my newness to these 4x4's. And the frame is cut behind the cab of the truck. I'll be fabbing up a new bumper before long. So far it's served as a tow point and something to hang up on haha As far as sitting lower in the front, i'd rather bring the front up instead of bringing the rear down so I can fit some bigger tires. Idk what you alls opinion on that would be. More than likely this truck will see mud all the time with the occasional rocky/hilly stuff. Not much of that around here.

#11 ·
yeah, that cab is definitely not from 78. if the truck is for sure a 78 with a swapped cab, then they used the grill from their donor truck too, because that cab and that grill are same year. all in all, nice looking truck. i would get bigger tires though, or bring the height down a bit. the tires just look too small for your rig. and x2 on ditching the rear blocks.

#13 ·
Great looking truck man, its defiantly a mix-n-matcher. Looks just like mine.
I like the Randy Rogers sticker on there too. By the way, edit your profile to show your location.

#17 · (Edited)
The bed is a standard shortbed for that vintage. They are longer than 6.5 ft and that is why they are longer behind the axle. If I remember they are closer to 7 ft long.

A front dana 60 would be a nice addition, rear shackle flip and flatter springs. Those springs don't look like they flex enough.

My 74 F-100 had a shortbed and the tank in the rear between the frame rails as I recall.

#18 ·
Pics of transfer case/front end drive shaft? A low pinion front drive shaft wont bolt up to a newer, non divorced 205 case with out rotating the front axle. The drive shaft angle is too steep.

Or at least that is my experience from many years ago. I suspect you have a older style frame also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.