Pirate 4x4 banner

302 to 351 Fuel Injected?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  AllGoNoShow 
#1 ·
I have a '91 F150 with a blown up 302. What does it take to swap a 351 in its place? Will the intake off the 302 work on the 351? Anything else that a guy has to worry about?

Thanks

#4 · (Edited)
Its a pretty simple swap, especially since that truck had the 5.8L as an option. I have a 1990 an EFI 5.8L with some goodies NIB and the ZF 5 speed to go with it. 80,000 miles, still in the truck, so all the parts are there. PM me if interested.

#5 ·
I was hoping to be able to just pull intake off my 302 and bolt it on a 351 and drop it back into place......That woulda made my life simple anyway! I'm trying to decide if my old truck is worth sticking any money into. I have a lead on a pretty clean F250 with a 460 and a ZF5, for a lil more money than it would cost me to buy a reman motor.....

redpitbull44 - Are you in SD? If so I might be intersted in some parts.

#6 ·
if you go 351, keep in mind the truck 302 and truck 351 intakes have diffrent ports also on the uppers, so you need a new lower and upper intake.

#11 ·
302 to 351

I have done this you will need the upper and lower intake as mentiond you will need a schematic of the motor harness because it is not wired the same the 302 has a knock sensor in the very back of the motor the 351W does not as well the 302 has a sensor in the power steering pressure line that advanced the timing when you turned the wheel to keep the motor from pukeing . So you will need the 351W harness and then pin it out to the yr chassis harness you have . You will have to have a 351W flexplate the 302 version is weighted different the torque convertor will remain the same . You will also need a new EEC with the combination you have for instance if you have a 5.8 with a C6 you will need an EEC that supports that combo one that had an E4OD will not work also because these are mostly speed density system they are pre programmed with the timing events and air intake volume so being that a 351W will take in more CFM than a 302 the mixture is going to be lean because the EEC has no way of knowing any better some will say it will work fine and it may seem that way but if all the sensors are working correctly it will be lean its just the way it was programmed . As for the motors not being the same the 302 and 351W do share some parts like the alternator power steering brackets , valve covers ,and accesories but everything else is special the distributor has a 5/16 hex for the oil pump drive and thats the only ford motor I have ever seen that uses that size the 302 is 1/4 hex and the 351M/C/400/429/460 are all 3/8 hex . The windsor will accept 302 heads they are the same except for the bolt hole size they are 1/2 inch instead of the 7/16 for the 302 so you just drill them out thats what I did and it works fine infact the edelbrock heads are 1/2 inch holes and come with special washers to neck them down to 7/16 for a 302 application . Before you start on this you will definately need a good detailed wiring diagram I changed the front clip out to the 92/96 style when I did mine as well and it will take you a little bit to figure out why the high beam indicator is on all the time and teh dash lights dim when you click the high beams had it not been for the ford electrical prints I have I would have been screwed .

#12 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas, I really appreciate it! After what I learned here the ol pig is going to get another 302 to keep shit simple (its just a drive around farm kinda truck). I will probably end up buying that F250 with 460 in it, and slowly convert it over to a 1 ton frontend, and my 36s off my old '67.

Speaking of converting an '88 F250 to one ton. That year pickup has a different leaf spring pad width compared to my '79 Dana 60, doesn't it?

If so, and to keep it simple I will need that tonner front Thomsen!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.