Pirate 4x4 banner

'90 F350 need to replace steering rag joint

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mikevyota 
#1 ·
Okay, I know that borgeson and flaming river offer a steering shaft for ~$300 but I'm looking for a more pirate friendly(fab, cheap) option. :D

I'm curious if anyone else has done their own mod on this. what the mod was and what the results were.

I haven't pulled it apart to see what the components are but wondering if replacing the rag joint with a ujoint setup would work. just weld one on or something similar.

#2 ·
i just used the entire shaft from a jeep cherokee. i have no idea what year or anything but it has u joints on both ends and was a direct fit although at the top it clamps on with the bolt on the side rather than going through the shaft. you could drill the hole for the bolt but i dont see any issue the way it is. i went wheeling in the snow once and sideswiped a tree with the tires, broke the plastic cv joint in the tilting portion of the column but everything else held up fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.