Pirate 4x4 banner

The "Brota" build.

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  7.62FMJ 
#1 ·
Don't hold your breath...this will be a slow build. There's nowhere around here to 'wheel anyways...

Part '78 Bronco, part '85 Toyota. I wanted to put power steering, full widths, and a number of other things into my Toyota...but decided it would be easier (and much cheaper) to go this route.

This is what I started with ($600) complete with blown 460:

With the help of some friends and their gantry crane, we yanked the body off the Bronco and set the Toyota body on it (free from pictured friend):

We torched the Bronco's body mounts off and just set the Toyota body on the framerails for now (so I only had to make one trip back to my house instead of two). The body will come back off, and I'll drop the 400 into it and get it bolted up to the trans (C6) before lowering the body back on top of it to get measurements for the new body mounts that I will build.

The 400 is about 30" long (trans mounting surface to harmonic) which will just barely fit in the Toyota's engine bay. The radiator will have to be rear mounted.

The new body mounts I will build will incorporate about a 4" body lift (compared to stock Bronco body mount locations) to clear the trans and transfer case, and for a little tire clearance up front. I am not cutting out the tunnel to lower the body.

My '78 F150 is going to get a 6" lift in the near future, so the 4" will come off and go onto the Brota along with a shackle reversal on the rear. Gears will stay the stock 3.50's until I come up with the cash for 5.13's or so. I'll throw together a flatbed of sorts...something to protect the radiator from mud/rocks/sticks/etc...

That's all I can think of right now. I'm tired and hungry. Questions and comments welcome...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.