Pirate 4x4 banner

96 f-250 truggy build

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  jam0o0 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i'm bord so I thought I would start a thread for my new project. I'm building it as I wheel it. My rig is an ext. cab, long bed 96 f-250 with a 351w and an E4OD. I picked up a set of 78 3/4 ton axle (for free) to start with. I also have a set of 37x13R16.5 Boggers for it.

I'm planning on doing a 130 inch wheel base with a bobbed down flat bed, custom bumpers, rock sliders, and a lot of other stuff. I really want to do a t-19 and a 203/205 combo and of cross a Dana 60 swap but the Dana 44 will work for now.

Here's the truck

and I gutted the interior. It had gray interior and I wanted it for my 92 so i'm going to a buggy based interior.

I'll get more pic's tomorrow. :flipoff2:

See less See more
#2 ·
I want the last 2 minutes of my life back. Do yourself a favor and don't do more to that 44 than you absolutely have to. I thought you already did a build thread on this truck, or is this the other truck from that build thread? Either way, should be interesting.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm not spending any money on the 44 and it had a pic in my DD build up as a parts truck I picked up. Oh and i'm working with what i got. Sorry this wont be a $20,000 build out of the box. I don't have $800 to drop on a Dana 60 right now. But I try to do the best I can with the parts I have. So i'll run the 44 till I plow it up or find a Dana 60.

#8 · (Edited)
sweet. Glad to hear that big red ain't dead after all. I'm always trying to build on a budget too. Can't wait to see this thing. I'm about a week out from starting my budget SAS'd 88 F-250 w/460 build myself. Oh, and a buddy of mine swaped a 78 8-lug D44 into an 86 F-250, said the springs matched up just fine IIRC. I got lucky with my 60, bought the whole 4 door 4x4 F-350 for $750 and hauled it home from NJ a few yrs back. Cost me another $300 in fuel, but it was way worth it. Good luck, and keep us posted.

#9 ·
Yeah I got a crew cab for BIG RED :D so she's goin crew cab short bed with the stock paint job. Do you have a build up on your rig? If so I may have read it but there's so many on here it's hard to remember lol

#11 ·
Naw, my shit either takes years before it's finished, or I do 3 day weekend marithons and get everything done at once. My 90 crew cab that I'm parting out now, I slid the rear axle forward, axe'd the carrier bearing, took the bed off, ran a fuel tank tool box combo for fuel cell and tool storage, shackle flip, and front drop brackets on 38.5s, back on 33s now, and sold the other stuff cuz i thought I was getting a SD. Wound up with the 88. lol.

#13 ·
Thats what I thought too, but he said it fit right in... It's been my experience that the frame got wider '80-97 compaired to 79 and earlier (I used to know the exact measurements, lol). Maybe he put in different mounts, or the springs matched up under the frame. I've only wheel'd with the guy when he was in his EB, I've only seen his 86 from the road while driving by. He works at NAPA and seems to know his shit, but seems like he said it was his dads truck, I can't remember now, its been a year or so since I talked to him. Doesn't matter really, but now I've got something to search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.