Pirate 4x4 banner

01 f150 4x4 problems

5K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  BarrelRoll 
#1 ·
I have a problem. I have a 2001 f150 supercrew. When engage the 4 wheel drive you can hear it engage the 4x4 light on the dash turns on ..but it doesn't actually engage. If anyone know anything that it might be let me know. Thanks

#5 ·
One of the most common problems I see if the nylon tabs on the aqxle disconnect fork breaking off. If the drive shaft is turning and you can see the fork on the front axle move I'm guessing thats what it is.

#8 ·
I know this is an old post that I found while searching but I might as well add this incase others have this problem.

I was battling a no 4x4 when it was cold out on my dad's '01 F150. When it was above freezing 4x4 would engage right away, when it was cold out it would take some driving (a mile or 2) and beating on it before it would engage. The actuator on the axle was a little stiff but didn't look too crusty and all the vaccum lines looked good.

I decided to change the actuator and ended up taking a hammer to the actuator housing because the brass bushing was siezed to the axle housing. When I broke it almost a tea spoon of rusty water ran out. I'm thinking the water would freeze up not allow it to move and engage the front axle. Once the truck warmed up the water would melt and 4x4 would work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.