Pirate 4x4 banner

Onboard Air Via FoMoCo

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Kenny714 
#1 ·
Before I convert my A/C pump to my new on-board air compressor, wondering if anyone had an Idea what the mid-90's A/C pumps put out as far as PSI an CFM?
Looking to mount a 10gal airtank from a semi underneath my flatbed, once built.

#3 ·
The stock pump will put out a lot of pressure. I used to use the sanden style pump on my bronco 2 to air up my tires, it worked great. keep it lubed up though. I dumped a thimble of motor oil before i aired up each time, it never failed me.

I hooked an air hose directly to the output line on the pump, I would attach the line to my valve stem, then get inside and hit the "AC" buttom and rev it up to about 3000, it took 20-30 seconds per tire :)

#4 ·
recent research has shown that my a/c pump will produce 500 psi... that may be a bit much for even a semi-trucks airtank... Regulating it wont be a huge issue, but I'll somehow need to lubricate it since Ill be removing the r-134 which had lube in it. Any thoughts on if this is still plausible or even worth it? What else can I put there... a welder??

#6 · (Edited)
I just drilled and tapped a hole at the air intake of my Sanden to screw in a small oiler. Has a small reservoir with a wick in it, hinged cap, and just a thimble of oil and your good to pump air. Ran airhose over to the fender where I mounted a quick connect and installed an inline press. regulator to deactivate the clutch when pressure hits 120 psi.
Avoid my bonehead move forgetting to shut off power to the pump which fried the Sanden' clutch which kept cycling while we were wheeling.:shaking::flipoff2::mad3:

#7 ·
I've run an AC pump off my 5.0 explorer stuff for about 6 years now. I bought an oiling and filtering system but it really doesn't work that well. I got a few years out of a compressor before it went tits up. Now I squirt a little tri-flo in the intake once in a while. A 120 or 150 psi pressure switch works good, and I plumb my ARB right into it with a 95psi regulator. Check out onboardair.com for lots of parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.