Pirate 4x4 banner

Split gears

981 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  redpitbull44 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been kicking around the idea of putting different size tires on the front and rear of one of my rigs. I would like to gear each axle accordingly to each tire size and still maintain the same rpm.

My question is what is the "tolerence" rpm gap that you can have and be safe. I'm looking at around 134 rpm difference at 55 mph, between the front and rear end.

My other thought on this that the chances of having this thing in 4 wheel drive at 55 mph on the road is very unlikely. So what say you?

#5 ·
It seems you already have access to a calculator or table to come up with your rpm# but here. http://www.pitbulltires.com/calculate.php
Also, a guy on Fordtrucks.com had a mud truck set up like that. Ran 39.5s on the front and 44s on the rear. You may search on there too. Not a bad site, just alot of DANs on there with DAN questions.

#6 ·
well this is a different dan, but i think you are talking about karl/kjett. he's got a muddrag ranger that is purpose built, but i might just be too drunk to remember right

#8 ·
When I said DAN I meant D.A.N. i.e. Dumb Ass Noob. We are thinking of the same truck also, as I remeber it being a ranger, and I think it was purple, maybe? cool little truck.
I searched and found my answer. It only took a couple of hours of searching.:rolleyes:

Seems like one to three precent is the "safety" zone off road.

Looks like I will have to change gears on my front axle to make this work right. Not sure if its worth all the trouble now.
I would say No, its probably Not worth the hassle. Either swap both, or buy tires according to what you have in there now, depending on your purpose. There are very few reasons I could see for going with two tire sizes and gear ratios on a 4x4, and in all reality, the difference between say, a 40 and a 44 is not really that big of a deal off road. I mean, you're talking about 2" more ground clearance (all measurements being exact), probably no difference in tread depth, and alot more expense on the same brand.

#7 ·
I searched and found my answer. It only took a couple of hours of searching.:rolleyes:

Seems like one to three precent is the "safety" zone off road.

Looks like I will have to change gears on my front axle to make this work right. Not sure if its worth all the trouble now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.