Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford 7.3l Diesel Problem

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rock Taxi 
#1 ·
My 2001 F250 7.3l ran fine on the way to work yesterday, but when I started it to come home last night, it sounded "louder" as in more of a "clatter" sound under the hood.

It also has a material lack of power as you wind up the motor, and even idles somewhat poorly. When you wrap up the rpm's in idle, it misses quite a bit and billows white smoke.

The 100% stock motor has 144k miles on it, and has had nothing done except replacing the cam position sensor once, and the fuel filter a couple or three times. It is relatively recent that the filter was replaced - like within 20k miles or less. Fuel pump and injectors are all factory.

The fuel that is in it is from a fuel stop in Oklahoma that has dispensed bad fuel before to fellow wheelers, so it is possible I got some. I burned through 3/4 of a tank of it though before I experienced a problem.

I have a couple of recall notices on the truck that I have not taken the truck in for, so I am about to take it to Ford for them to sort it out, but thought before I would just give FOMOCO a blank check to fix it, I would ask if anyone else has had this and can help me figure out the issue first....

Tonight I am going to check the oil level (it is time for an oil change anyway) and replace the air and fuel filters to see if that helps.

Other ideas?

Ed

See less See more
#3 ·
You need to be changing that fuel filter every 15k miles, 20k max. I try to change mine every 10k, but recently I've been going 15. Also, I would definitely check the oil level. Those injectors are run off the High Pressure Oil Pump which needs mass amounts of oil to run the injectors. Mine got real noisy right before it ran out of oil. The injectors will stop firing before the motor loses oil pressure and causes damage, but it sucks blowing out 12qts of Rotella. I would say either of those is the likely culprit.

Also, I like to put in the new fuel filter and fill the fuel bowl with ATF to get the injectors clean and lubed. You may also want to run some DieselKleen with your next fill up, maybe its just a dirty injector?

#4 ·
you may have an injector that failed. if you are getting a lot of white smoke it is either fuel that is not burning at all or water getting in the chamber. the water could be from a bad head gasket or a cracked injector cup. check you cooling system for fuel contamination. if that checks out it most likely is not an injector cup. if you think that you may have gotten bad fuel then check you filter bowl for water. and for the love of god change that nasty ass filter. :D the fuel filter needs to be changed at the recomended interval. 7.3 powerstrokes are very sensitive to fuel quality and contamination.

#5 ·
I borrowed a neighbor's car to get to work yesterday, so it sat overnight and all day yesterday. When I got home from work, it wouldn't even start.

1. I changed the fuel filter (didn't see any water in the fuel drained from the filter housing) - it at least started, but idled HORRIBLY for a few seconds and then died

2. I changed the air filter - it started, no difference, idled TERRIBLY briefly and died

3. I changed the CPS - Same as before - although maybe idled better briefly before dying

4. I changed the oil and filter - It actually idled less horribly (no mistake, still undrivable) but did not die and kept sputtering.

5. As I had it "kind of running" after the oil change, I dumped my emergency 5 gallon can of diesel in the tank - it started running better, but not great.

6. I went to a gas station by my house that has just installed brand new underground tanks and added 14 more gallons of fuel.

The noise under the hood went away (well, the new louder noise) and it ran great.

I let it sit overnight, worried that it was going to be a cold engine problem, but it started fine and drove to work normally. I am thinking it was bad fuel (and probably filter too).

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.