Pirate 4x4 banner

6.0L diesel injector problem?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  K-TRON 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
my dad is having some problems with the 6.0L diesel in his 2004 F250
It has about 80,000miles on it

Just yesterday my dad said that the engine starts to sputter above 1500rpm.
If he is in neutral, the engine sounds fine from the 600rpm idle to 1400rpm or so.
If he goes above 1500rpm, the engine sounds like it is having trouble running. My dad says that regardless of holding the pedal at where it is normally 1500rpm, the engine drops down to about 1300rpm.

Does this sound like an injector problem?

He has already had the EGR cooler replaced a few months ago, hopefully it is not that again

Any ideas?

My dad is seriously contemplating buying the quite expensive 4 yr extended warranty on his truck. The engine has had quite a number of problems already.

Chris

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks bowtied,
I relayed the information to my dad.
He said that the filters were changed about 50,000miles ago.
That could very well be the problem, lets hope it is something very simple.

The truck is out of warranty now. Ford says that a new injector is $220 plus an $80 installation fee. Something around $1800 to replace all of the injectors.

When the engine was last inspected by ford, they said the head gaskets were good, but one glow plug was on its way out. That was about 2,000miles ago.

Sorry, that is all of the information I have. I am at college, so I cant actually hear the truck or help out anymore.

Chris

#7 ·
I talked to my dad yesterday, turns out the fuel filters were changed 8,000 miles ago. He keeps this stuff written in a pad, he must not have seen the newer additions.

Filters are on the "to check" list

Thanks for all of your help,

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.