Pirate 4x4 banner

Ford 302 not running or starting right

719 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  recoiljunky 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1987 ford ranger with a 302 in it which is supposedly built to a 306 the engine is new. The engine has a DUI self contained ignition system i recently put in new plugs (motorcrafts) and the wires seem good. I have set the timing to 12 degrees. The carburetor is a motorcraft 2150 2 barrel which the previous owner removed the choke for some reason. When i go to start the truck i pump it once and then crank it and the truck lugs over and sometimes will start and other times wont. Its almost as if it makes one complete revoultion then pauses then does it again and again and again till randomly it will fire over and run. when it does run it has a random skip. Sometimes it will go 30 seconds smooth then hicup quick then intermittently do it again. Im trying to figure out first off why it has the hard start its almost as if it has to much timing to it but it only has 12 degrees. Another thing it does is if i dont pump the gas it will crank fast and normal, but once i pump the throttle once it slows down and cranks hard again. Any input whatsoever would be helpful thank you very much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.