Pirate 4x4 banner

F250 D44 1977.5-79 question

8K views 43 replies 21 participants last post by  speed bump 
#1 ·
Looking through Mr. N's web page.
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

Because I'm in the market for an 8 lug D44 high pinion. So, I searched Car-part(dot) com and for years 77-79 for the F250 front axle and it's asking if I want the 3800lb or 4500lb version. The 4500lb version axles are going for $1000 or more...is that the Dana 60? I ask because the 3800lb version is around $100-300...way different in cost.

#11 ·
The 4500 GVW is a 60, they came in crew cabs from 74-76 in the closed knuckle form, then 77-79 as open knuckles. They also came in 78-79 snow fighter prep package trucks and 79 F-350 4wds.

I could swear my 77.5 only has a 3550 front GVW rating with the high pinion 44 though.

#13 ·
I don't want to get to the junkyard and be surprised so one more question:

The WMS measurement was quoted at "6?" inches. Anyone know the "?". Hopefully it's not the 69" width.

I'm coming from an FSJ Waggy D44 and didn't want to extend the tires out too far past the fenders because some of the states I drive in have tire/fender laws. I'm ok going an extra few inches because I'm adding 2" fender flares and can make up the additional width in backspacing. I believe my current Waggy D44 is 61" WMS, so if this F250 could be cut down to 65-67" that would be perfect.

Thanks for the advice so far!

#17 · (Edited)
some of the 44 8lugs were 1/2in thick tubing..and listed as HD44's..that might be the 4500lb unit..

longer outter stubs..spicer hubs (huge chrome)..but still a 44..

#19 ·
Try this again.

Is this a HPD44? The seller says its from a 77 F250 with a 205 and 4 speed manual.

It doesn't look like the strong webbing found on Mr. N's page and I'm not familiar enough with high pinion fronts to tell.

#27 ·
From everything I can tell thats a HP axle, it has the staggered shock mount and the steering stabilizer mount on the passenger side shock mount, the bent tie rod to clearence the cover. It also has the different steering arm that the 77.5-79s had.

The dual piston brake calipers are the same from 76-79.

#23 ·
The first picture is the pic provided by the seller of the axle. The second picture is Mr. N's example of what I believe the seller's axle might be given the year and make. Just trying to verify the axle before I purchase.

#26 · (Edited)
Looks like a high pinion to me. I believe its a 77.5 to 79 open knuckle "hd" 44 with the regular 3 1/2" hubs. Where in MN are you. I have a set of axles im lookin to get rid of. dana 60 ff rear dana 44 hd front. not sure on the year but its a closed knuckle kingpin axle with the mongo hubs. 200 bucks for the set. And thanks to Mr. N for all your time and effort into your articles.

#31 ·
Thank you. I've got a 14B FF that looks about the same that needs cleaning too. I'll probably get out the pressure washer first followed by a flap disc to at least get the tubes/welding areas down to shiny metal. I don't have access to a sand blaster or anything like that unfortunately.

#36 ·
Well, this definitely shows I'm new to high pinion D44's.

Can I put a Trac-Lok into my F250 high pinion D44 that was originally from a low pinion D44?

It's a Trac-Lok out of a rear Rodeo D44 that had 4.30 thick gears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.