Pirate 4x4 banner

Need some help identifying my axle!

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  BlueBreadTruck 
#1 ·
I'm going to need some help here.:nuke: I posted this in the dodge area, and was told I have a ford front axle!

I bought a 1977 dodge camper that was converted to 4x4 a long time ago. My steering arm that connects the pitman arm to the center link (drag link) ball joint is completely worn out.

They must have used the steering setup from whatever axle they used. This is where it gets hard for me....I have no idea what year, etc truck had what axle to order this steering arm.

I am hoping if I post some pics someone will be able to tell me what this axle was out of. If you need any more info, please let me know. The brake calipers have a Chrysler symbol on them. Thanks!!

As far as I can tell, It is an 8-lug Dana 44 (hd)..... It has balljoints

See less See more
#2 ·
The dodge guys said dodge did not make junk like that till 94'

I have a dana 60 front in my f-350 and its way larger...the size diff, u-joints, and hubs look to be the exact same size as my bronco...which is a dana 44.

Is there anything I can take a pic of that would help the ID?

This is all because I need a new steering arm....I will take a pic of it tommorow.

#4 ·
Find the BOM? With all the rust, that make be unpossible.
Another option to determine the MFR is to check for any casting numbers / marks and let us know what they are.

While it looks like a Ford with the drivers drop, the actual year stumps me.

73-77.5? F250 is what I am guessing.

I have been wrong before, so this is the disclaimer... ;)

#9 ·
wow thanks for all the info!

you guys really know your axles. If I were to try and find the numbers through the rust, in what location should I look?

Im going to look up the drag link for the truck you guys say it came from...hopefully the steering setup was from that!

#10 ·
ditto on the 77-79 f250 dana 44

i have one sitting out in the shop, the #s would be on the long axle tube, kinda under the steering stabilizer

#11 ·
Ok, I just went out and took a pic of the steering arm I am trying to replace. does this look like an arm from a ford?

The balljoint end connected to the pitman arm, and the threaded end went through a Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve to a balljoint at the spindle end.

thank you very much for the help!

#12 ·
looked and my brothers 1/2 79 ford tonight and i would say it lookes like that without any bend just a straig piece.

Do you need that bend for clearance?

I think all the 3/4 ton fords are a push pull system and don't have a piece like that.

#13 ·
The 3/4 tons were push/pull, but with that being a bastardized setup, it would stand to reason it would be done like that with the stock 2WD Dodge van steering box.

#14 · (Edited)
Most of those conversion van setups used a combination of parts for steering components. Usually the drag link was custom but the steering arms and tie rod ends were off of a factory application. You might want to give the guy that runs Pathfinder van conversions a call. He is in Utah, his website has been upgraded,plus he has an e-mail address and a phone number to call.

Pathfinder did all three manufacturers conversions to 4wd on vans. That would be a great place to start. If you sent him your pictures he would probably be able to recognize what you have right away.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I figured as a last ditch effort I would post up a pic of the complete steering setup, even though everyone seems to agree its not a dodge. I could see the 2 bolt holes on the top of the driver's side knuckle where i bet the drag link arm connected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.