Pirate 4x4 banner

Help identifying this 9"

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  derf 
#1 · (Edited)
So I want to order some shafts and set up some brakes for the 9" I'm building but I can't quite figure out where it came from. I bought it as a bare housing and there's no identifying marks on it at all.

Width from flange to flange is 56-1/2". It has old style big bearing pockets.

The spring perches, set up for a spring over, appeared to be about 37-1/2" apart inside to inside or 39-1/2" center to center. They were 2" wide.

I didn't see any evidence that there were any shock mounts cut off.

The vent hole is on the driver's side tube about 3" from the weld seam at the center section. It's a 3/8" hole.

Can anyone clue me in on what this axle came out of? Thanks.

The center section in this picture is new.

See less See more
#6 ·
Find out what spline count you need for your spider gears or locker. Find out who you are getting to make the shafts, so you can measure how they ask. I have seen different companies measure different places.

Being 56" wide and the outer axle bearing looks like its a Big bearing/Late/Torino style.... I'm guessing late 70's Torino/Ranchero.

#14 ·
Mine originally ran through the brake line block T as well. Threads were rusted, so I plugged it and added a different one in.

The no breather hose, no trimmed bolts, and unpainted (non-rusted) u-bolts might indicate build pictures. The hard line coming off the T and going to a short hose was also interim until the new longer hose came in.

Alloy USA use to make axles. Its been years since I have dealt with 9" axles, so I do not know any current companies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.