Pirate 4x4 banner

302 to 351W questions

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Havok450 
#1 · (Edited)
so my 302 form an exploder has a bad knock, I have an older 351W (1st generation) it is not a roller motor. I know the 351 has about 1" higher deck height, does this mean my exhaust headers will also be bolting up 1" higher, I custom built the exhaust to fit the 302, and wondering if i need to re-work it for a 351

can i use my gt40p heads on a non-roller 351 block, (i understand that i need to re-drill the head bolts larger?)

I know there are custom lifters and valley/spider pans to change this to a roller, but its pricy, and is it necessary?

wondering if i should just fix the knock or take advantage of this 351 I have laying around

If i found a newer (1994 and up) roller block, will my cam from the 302 work? (stock mustang cam)

obviously i would love to do a stroker in either one of these blocks, but not enough funds for that

#2 ·
any 302 parts will swap for the most part from your explorer motor to the 94 mustang engine. you can also use all the roller cam stuff on the 351 dont need to buy anything. depending on your exhaust it can work on the 351.

#3 ·
the 5.8 is also wider so your current y pipe will either need to be heated up and bent out or reworked.

is the 5.8 you have now efi? i dont think you need to worry about going with a roller cam in that motor. just bolt on the gt40p heads and run it. when you say first gen 351w what does that mean? if its carbed you will have a lot to get to make this work in your efi xploder

just curious if you have a knock is there also a drop in oil pressure? how many miles on the 302.

#5 ·
You would need a small base circle cam if you plan on using the stock lifters and spider because the lifter bores are shorter than the roller cam version motors, but an aftermarket set of linked roller lifters will allow you to use a 5.0 style cam. You would also have to drill out the head bolt holes to 1/2" as the 302 uses a 7/16" fastener. You would also need the accessory drive from the 351 because your brackets won't work either.

I would just grab another 5.0 from the junkyard because of how many different vehicles they are in and save yourself the trouble. Then you can make a 347 with the old motor.

#8 ·
They connect to the timing cover/water pump and the heads, so with over an inch of deck height your existing brackets will not work. Just look at the 5.0 mustang crowd and you will see ford racing, jegs, and other companies make specific brackets for this problem.

Also ford racing does make conversion lifters, but they are the link bar type because the earlier blocks were not designed for a hydraulic roller lifter.

#9 ·
my block is the 1st generation 351 block, apperently it is one of the stronger blocks made. not a roller

all of my accessories, are from the explorer, not a mustang, this is a tighter package and gives me more room for my radiator, sounds like this may not bolt up to the 351

my exhaust took me a while to build, and it tight on the 302, so it sounds like it would need some serious mods to fit the 351

i always told myself that i wanted a 351, but it sounds like i shold get a roller one (1994 an up i think?) for now sounds like the 302 will need some loving, I will try to find a short block, and re-build it.

are all 302s from mustangs/explorers/trucks the same, is there a specific donor i should be looking at. I thought piston design/material had changed at some point

#10 ·
Those conversion lifters are expensive, I think I'd buy a roller block first...

F4TE is the block casting # you are looking for if you want a 351w roller. 94-97 trucks/vans and obviously lightnings if you happen to come across one.

I have a 97 351w roller core I may be willing to part with for some cash... I also need a sbf c6.

#12 ·
thanks for the info, im going to wait on the 351, think i will just pull the motor and pan and see if i cant fix it before it goes bang. little machine work, some new crank bearings, and i should be okay for now. the engine has good power and seems tight, so i dont mind nursing it along.

any thought on the ideal 302 donor short block? specific year or vehicle?, I know i want a roller, didnt that start in 88 or 89 with mustangs?

#14 ·
I dig the 351 idea, but it is a lot of work swapping over. Don't forget that the 351w oil pan is different. One thing to consider if you do try the 351 swap. BBK makes some fairly cheap shorty swap headers for the 351 that are supposed to bring the collectors to the same location as stock 302 headers or manifolds. Not sure what you're running for exhaust but if it's stock or shorties they'd probably work well. I'm running them in my stang now.
Also you said 1st gen 351, didn't they have a slightly shorter deck height that causes manifold fitment problems with later manifolds ?
One more thing you probably know, the lightning truck 351w lower intake manifold will bolt directly to your Explorer upper that you have now.

#15 ·
thanks for the hedder idea hedder for the GT40P heads, (pricey)

as far as the lightning stuff, I believe the explorer intake may already be better, its the same as the Cobra mustang, but i dont know that for sure

any idea on the ideal donor block (302) when did rollers come out?

#16 ·
my cousin replace a warn out 351w with a 302 roller motor, he plans on putting a set of gt40p heads on the 302, i cant say i know very much about these engines myself but depending on the rpm your looking for you might consider rebuilding the roller 302 for the higher rpm range

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.