Pirate 4x4 banner

1997 460 Engine reprogramming

15K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Whitetrash303 
#1 ·
Any body tried these guys for performance chips?
http://rs4performance.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1078

I am not buying into thier claim of 50HP+ on a gasser. Diesel yes, gas engine no.

So, what has been a good re-programmer for a Ford 1997 f-250 with a stock 460 and auto. I am VERY familiar with GM LS1 edit, but don't know what you guys are using on the Fords.
Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
No, I haven't heard of them, but the old timers tell me that there is alot of power to be made from a 460 by advancing the timing, since it is retarded quite a bit. I would imagine that this would be one of the aspects the chip could control.

#4 ·
Yea, I was aware of the mechanical cam shaft timing. I remember Ford doing that many years ago and murdered a great engine.
This isn't my truck, it is a friend's rig that doesn't live close to me where I can get my hands on it. :evil:

#3 ·
the quickest way to get a big boost in performance from an efi 460 is a good set of headers. you already have a 97, which is the highest hp efi 460 from the factory. somewhere around 275hp but they down played it so when the v10's came out they looked more powerful. 325-350hp is about tops on factory 460 efi's without major cash or aftermarket efi systems. or you could rig together maf stuff from other ford efi

#5 ·
the cams are strait up in the efi engines - the carbed ones after 74 were retarted 4 deg.

get a set of headers and open up the exhaust, along with an intake and advancing the timing from 10* to 12 or 13* ( listen for a ping and retard if needed )

#6 ·
Seems like everybody and their brother sells a programmer these days. If it were me, I'd go with a company that's been in the power programmer market since the beginning. Like Banks. It's easy to make a claim of 50+ hp...but you might only feel 10-20 of that, and they'll claim it's the truck's age, or parasitic loss, or the position of the moon...

#7 ·
So, what has been a good re-programmer for a Ford 1997 f-250 with a stock 460 and auto. I am VERY familiar with GM LS1 edit, but don't know what you guys are using on the Fords.
Thanks.
If you are familiar with ls1 edit and are a very patient man.... look into Tweecer, or Moates Quarterhorse. I'd go with Quarterhorse personally.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.