Pirate 4x4 banner

69 F250 Dana 44 Camber Problem

9K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  speed bump 
#1 ·
I just got a 69 Ford F250 Highboy. I've got a problem with the front drivers side wheels got hella camber problems and I can't figure it out. I've herd king pin bearings and also that the spindle is bent. Any ideas on what I need to fix it and how to do it.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
No disrespect to the fine gentlemen here, but you should look at Fordification.com - 67-72 F series trucks.

Good luck, and let us know what you find when you pull out the trunions.

#7 ·
Bottom bearing is toast at the least... Where'd the wipers go?

Anyways, couple of things... That doesn't look like a highboy, and I "personally" would look for a new axle.

On that axle, the short side tube looks bent in relation to the housing, and in relation to the tie rod... Which is obviously bent. Looks like a dumb kid got a hold of dads farm truck.:(

I know a guy with that same axle... It's road worthy and straight. I would look for a 60 myself.

#8 ·
Idon't know what happened to the wiper rings they were gone when I got the truck the guy I got it from said something about adjusting something and the bottom of the knuckle under that cover to fix the camber. It's a highboy becasue its an NP435 wiht a divorced t-case.

#11 · (Edited)
Sweet old Ford.

Those closed nuckle front ends take a bit of upkeep, the upper and lower bearings and the wiper seals have to be changed on a regular schedule, also the drum brakes work great after you redo them, but go down hill quick. While you are in there, there is a bronze bushing in the inside of the spindle that the outer stub axle rides on, that probably needs changing if you keep that axle. If you stay on top of stuff you can get plenty of service out of that axle.

I have never had a problem finding the wiper seals, but your results may vary.

#12 ·
If I remember correctly (it was 1979) I had trouble finding wiper rings for the front end I had because it was a commercial model front end. It had a C molded into the carrier and had a larger ball on the end of the axle and larger u joints, I think it was a 7" ball where most fronts were 5". It could have been a dana 60 I'm npt sure.

#14 ·
I just looked in MR N guide and he called it the "large king pin" front axle. It did have the big spicer hubs (I still have them) but it had the letter c cast into the differential right above the pinion yoke.
I was told that this was a commercual front end and thats the reason for the letter c.

#15 ·
Yea I am not positive on the king pin size or u-joint sizes on the bigger ball front axles. I have no doubt the C indicated a higher GAWR associated with a commercial vehicle. That being said I saw quite a few of them in the early to mid 70's ford pickups of both body styles, usually associated with a big cab over camper on the truck. So they may have been sold back then as a camper special package also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.