Pirate 4x4 banner

Which Dana 60 To Use?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  fordtrucknut77 
#1 ·
Hey fellas, I'm going to the dark side for a while.......I bought a Jeep last Sunday and I am parting out my old '67.

I am going to put my '79 Dana 60 up front, and probably re-gear to 4.88s. Anyone have any leads on the best prices on new gears, lockers, axles?

Now my question. I have a '75 Dana 60, and a '79 Dana 60. Which one would be better to build? Who makes the most idiot proof disc brake conversion? And what axles should I stick in it (relatively cheap) to go with my 4.88 gears.

Whats everyone reccomend for lockers. I was thinking a Detroit rear, and a lockright in the front.....But I'm still open to suggestions.

It will be powered by a stock 4.0 with a 5spd and NP231 for now till I get the time and money to put together a Ford drivetrain for it.

#3 ·
Dang dude... You have been here a while now, has the search button eluded you?

Personally, I would do this:

79 Dana 60 in front, it will have good tubes and discs from the factory. Personally, I would look at Yukon for almost everything... I would look at CTM for joints. Yukon super joints have brought teh suck! Anyways, Yukon grizzly, and moly shafts with CTM's would be BOMB proof. My very own opinion!!:flipoff2:

I seriously doubt you could kill that combo, with the gearing in that 231... Even behind a strong V-8, and full size weight.

#4 ·
Dang dude... You have been here a while now, has the search button eluded you?

Personally, I would do this:

79 Dana 60 in front, it will have good tubes and discs from the factory.
Try reading the entire post carefully before posting up trying to be an asshat and ending up looking retarded.

He's asking about a REAR 60, since he mentioned he's putting a '79 60 up front.

I don't think there's any difference between the two, but don't take my word for it. If that's the case I would go by the condition of the spindles. I'm working on a rear 60 from a '78 and looking at ballistic or ruff stuff for disk brake brackets. Not quite sure why the ruffstuff ones have a kink in them and the ballistics don't... But I think they're all generally the same.

#6 ·
The rear is what I was more concerned about. I know there is two different kits for rear disc brakes. One for pre '78 axles and one for the newer axles. I guess I'm not even sure if the '79 axle that I have is a full floater or not, whereas the 75 is.

The other thing I was wondering was on good replacement axle shafts for both sets of axles. I don't need to spend the money for the real bling bling parts as my 36" tires are being turned by a 6 cylinder and its not going to be in rocks but a few times a year. The front I will probably leave stock minus gears/locker/warn premium hubs. The rear I will probably upgrade as those stock axles are my weak link.

#8 · (Edited)
Check out diy4x... They have a really nice disc kit, that allows it to unbolt after installed. Use plain old 3/4 ton cheby calipers, and I think you can use stock rotors on the 60 as well. I used their kit on my 70, it's a nice kit.

I don't know what years had coarse spline axles, but I would stay away from them. 75 might be coarse spline...??

#9 · (Edited)
^^X2

Forgot about spline count. I think some rear 60's had a whole 9 splines...:barf:
(not sure of that number, could be 16...)

edit: yeah its either 16 or 30 splines.

I just welded up my diff and I'm turning 37's with a worn out 360, so I'll prolly end up replacing shafts sooner or later. So I'm interested in everyone's opinion on the best "bang for the buck" rear shafts.

edit:
Mr N said this in an old thread I found http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-545219.html:
"So you picked up a rear Dana 60 with 16 splines. Most likely it was from a 70-75 Parcel Deliver van or a 73-75 F250 Camper Special or a 70-75 HD 4x2 Pick-up. It came with the same length axle shaft on both sides, Spicer part number 35445-2 with 16 Splines and 34.56” long."

#14 ·
i'd run neither... and find a sterling instead... much better axle...

but if i was forced to choose, i'd also say 79, much easier to find parts/spares for.

#16 ·
The Sterling isn't out of the picture. I just happen to have a bunch of 60 rears laying around at the moment. I haven't even called the scrapyards to see what a good sterling rear brings, might be worth pawning off a few of my other spare parts an getting one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.