Pirate 4x4 banner

Can a Sterling 10.50 hub be redrilled?

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FORDTECHGURU 
#1 ·
I'm trying to convert a sterling 10.50 bolt pattern (8x170) to sterling 10.25 bolt pattern (8x6.5). Take a look at the following pic, and let me know if you think it's possible.

http://image.fourwheeler.com/f/2798...ford_f350_super_duty+puter_wheel_bearings.jpg

Basically the studs would be redrilled between the older studs, and would move closer to the center of the hub. 170mm is 6.69", so they would move in about .19". I think there is enough room on the hubs and rotors, my only concern is that the lugs would be too close to the center of the hub. The lugs might be so close that they rub the center of the hub.

Basically i'm going after a 99-05 sterling because it has disc brakes stock, and can be bought for around 200-300 bucks. However, I need to match the bolt pattern to a 86-92 front dana 60. So does anyone think that redrilling the hubs and rotors is worthwhile?

Thanks, Lucas

#3 ·
I really think you would be just fine. You are talking about moving the circle that .19", so really, each one would only move in .095", which is not a whole lot. What about using an earlier model hub? I've never looked into it because I already have 2 10.25s, and I'm just doing a disc swap, but that may be a worthwhile venture, since the rotors just slide on, and could be drilled out slightly larger to accept it, and I think they are hub centric. Also, I think some vans use 8x6.5" pattern with disc brakes IIRC.

#5 ·
The 14Bolt 10.5" full floater is 8x6.5" and has a huge aftermarket. It can be had with ratios up to 4.56 factory with a Detroit for less than you're talking about buying just the Sterling 10.5" for. Add in the cost and labor involved with re-drilling the Sterling to a new bolt pattern and it no longer becomes cost efficient (to me at least). Unless the rear axle has to be Ford for ease of swap or brand loyalty, the 14B FF seems like the winner.

#7 ·
I will be gearing it to 5.13, so the 14 bolt would have to be regeared anyways. I mainly wanted to go with the sterling 10.50 for the factory disc brakes with a fully functional e-brake, and the sterling has the clearance of a shaved 14b, so I won't have to worry about shaving it.

I'm hoping I can have a machine shop redrill the rotors and hubs for 200 or under. Does this sound about right?

#6 ·
This is one I'm considering http://www.tsmmfg.com/2670.htm But I have seen a couple pages where guys have pieced together Ford parts here and there. Blackhawk (I think was the name) makes one too.

#8 · (Edited)
The local machine shop would probably charge about that, but I'd get a few extra rotors done, then save the packaging and put some light oil on them or something to keep heavy rust off, but you're in TX, so that probably isn't near as much of an issue. Also, you may want to check the E-350 van's rotor diameter and thickness, maybe it would work, IDK.

#9 ·
if you have to re-gear anyway don't waste time on the sterling. Its not a bad axle but if you shave the 14 bolt and do a disc conversion and you will still be cheaper than a sterling. And plus you will be able to use factory parts when shit breaks... just my .02

#10 ·
i thought doing this at first then picked up a matched set out of a 03 duty, basically this would require finding a larger shanked stud set and redrilling them on an indexing table, the rotors you could do yourself once the hubs were done, then everything stays factory on the sterling, hell, how long do you think it would take you to wear out a set of rear rotors? probably never...
dont worry about the lug nuts, use a spline drive set like from american racing, lots o clearance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.