Pirate 4x4 banner

Going to look at a 79 F150 for the front axle

2K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  cyclegrip 
#1 ·
I have a 95 F150 right now and I would like to SAS it
There is a 79 being parted out on craigslist and the seller must not know much about it because I asked questions and they just said come look at it but
What all would I need from the 79 to do the swap?
What would be a fair price to pay?
What are the chances that it has a 3.55 gear ratio?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Mine had 3.55 in it when i got it. I assume it was probably a fairly common ratio. Never did the swap on that model truck you have but I would say, the axle,radius arms, radius arm brackets. I believe on my 78 that the track bar bracket was rivited on so you may be able to grind those out and use that on your 95. You may also want to try and get the coil buckets also

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before I head out there and he throws me a price. I'd like to get everything I can to make the swap as easy and painless as possible.

#4 ·
Heck, try to get the whole thing. That would give you matching ratios, a 205 case for future, all the brake plumbing, 9" rear, all the brackets, etc. Maybe just get the rolling frame.

But, I would at least try to get everything the 1st guy said as well as the sector box (because up here they are starting to get rare for some reason). Take a grinder and butch the rivets out of the brackets and take some measurements to make swapping it into your rig easier.

I don't know what those rigs go for there, but around here a non-runner can be had for $500 pretty easy for the whole shooting match vs. $200 or more just for the front axle. Depends on if they know what they have.

#5 · (Edited)
I would get everything, radius arm brackets, radius arms, track bar and bracket, spring buckets, axle, etc. If he'd give you the whole Chasis, you could re-body it with what you have, do an engine swap, lol. Alot of work, but I'm crazy like that.
I had one complete that needed a full rebuild, but I gave it away with the 94 F-150 I traded off. If you are close to IN I could probably get it back from the guy, as he wasn't really interested in it, and neither was I, I just threw it in to sweeten the deal.
Oh, and its MOST LIKELY to have 3.55 gears

#7 ·
Haha I hope it does if I end up buying it, I don't wanna re-gear because it's the perfect ratio for what I have planned down the road.

Also getting the entire rig is out of the question, I'd love to but I have absolutely no room for it right now :(

So axle, trac bar, tie rods? radius arms and brackets, buckets along with everything on the axle

Should I get upper coil buckets or can I use the ones already on my f150?

#10 ·
Alright so I went and looked at it and am probably buying it, got a question though

It's from a 79 F150, has dual shocks mounted and assisted steering, what does this mean?
He couldn't find the keys and the door was locked so I couldn't find any info about ratio?

#12 ·
All of the F150's of that year I have ever seen have the steering stabilizer on them. I thought only the F250's had the steering ram on the axle? Never saw a stock one with double shocks either

#23 · (Edited)
the old school coils fit in ur coil buckets but new coils from ur truck wont mount to the axle(acccordig to bronco graveyard)(i think james duff makes real nice axle side spring mounts) wish i saw this post earlier i would of sold u an axle with brand new extendend radius arms brand new hubs and rotors with bearing races and wheel studs installed new caliper hardware kit new c bushings an axle thats already stripped and gusseted down the pass axle tube and its painted for 500 and new polybushings for the trac bar

#25 ·
Yea I really don't wanna spend $100 on coil buckets, atleast I think that's how much there were from James Duff. And I got this for a good deal I think lifted02f350, wasn't lookin to spend that much :p Would have been awesome though to get all that ready to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.