Pirate 4x4 banner

another ranger project

9K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Fordman500 
#1 ·
Im currently doing a sas on my 2003 ranger. Should be finish by next week i hope. Heres the progress so far
Front
King coil over 14"
Dana 44 bronco 72 with arb and superior axles abs conversion on the hub (will know if it works when the truck is finish)
3 link

Rear
Skyjacker 6" leaf (probably going four link next winter)
9" bronco 72 with detroit, superior axles and 8.8 abs ring fitted to the detroit

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Front
dana 44 early bronco
superior axles
arb air locker
king 14" coil over
ford (seems to be) ecolonine steering box with front pitman, mated to the oem ranger steering colonne, had to make a cut on the input shaft of the box so it would fit.
Ram assist
superwinch freelock
3 link front with track bar
hub modified for abs (will know when the truck is completed if it works correctl)

Rear
9 inch early bronco
detroit locker
superior axles
disc brake conversion
6 inch skyjacker leaf (didnt want to spend much money in the rear probably going 4 link next winter)
8.8 abs ring fitted on the detroit

The result not yet fully completed, theres still a couple of things left

Already found my 351w for next winter, all i have to find is a scrap aod that i will buid and what tcase i want to put behind.

#6 · (Edited)
Wanted to keep has much of the cluster light working correctly for inspection, thats why abs, for the flare i feel the same way but if you dont have them where i live your truck isnt going to stay on the road for long

The rear caliper are from an cadillac eldorado and have the ebrake mounted on the rear of the caliper. If you want to have an 15" wheel found out the easy way was with cj 75 front disc mounted behind the hub

#7 ·
Ok what bracket did you use with the caliper and is it a cable E brake? I need it for inspection too. Great build though I love the 9 inch disk setup and want to use it for my EB.

#9 ·
its a cable e-brake, the bracket is a universal gm brake conversion bracket, you should be able to find the same thing in a 4x4 shop.

The tower for the coil over we just used 3 piece of flat bar to make the shape then put some gusset on the side. My friend received just after they where all welded to the frame a really nice set of coil over box all laser cut and bended to shape. Would have gone to road having known

#12 ·
I'm curious about this too...also, can we get some shots of the 3-link set up.

Hopefully you flexed the suspension to check clearances, mostly the tire to coilover clearance. I had 14" x 2.5" body CO's and 37" tires and they would rub on the CO's on full stuff so I had to limit the travel.
I traded for some 2.0" body CO's and hopefully that gives me the clearance I need but haven't had a chance to really flex it out.
I have mine leaned in about 15* or so and could go a little more if it weren't for the lame steering box hump on the pre-98 Rangers. Yours should be alright since you have a nice straight frame.

#13 ·
There leaned outboard of the frame on a small angle. We didnt had the change yet to check clearance with the tire, but the measurement we took say they clear by at least an inch the coil. For the suspension itself theres no binding anywhere the only trouble it will need bump stop for the uptravel cause the axles touches the frame. Ill try to get better pic of the 3 link set-up in front.

#18 ·
Ya looks good other than the fact it looks a foot to tall and 2 feet to wide for those tires....

#25 ·
Well after a summer of beating on it i can say it pretty tuff. Only had a superwinch locking hub brake. For the flare well they are no more in good shape. Need to change them for something else has the do not like the small jeep trail we have here. There just one thats still ok the rest hold with tie-wrap until i can change them for rubber flap.

this it how it looks now

#29 · (Edited)
Now the flare looks good

Still needs a little bit of love before the summer, both drive shaft need new slip yoke, have the snorkel in the mail and need to repaint the bumper, slider and the rack plus clean the paint around the flare and repaint flat back the lower half of the truck

#32 ·
decided to make some change to the suspension, front is now on jk coil with mx6 shocks and the 14 inch coil over are going on the back end with a 3 link + trackbar. Removed the bed also and started the exocage well just one tube has i didnt have enough dom to continue
seats around 4 inch lower then before

front 3 link bracket

slimer lower arm bracket at frame

coil swap for the front

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.