Pirate 4x4 banner

Dana 60 Axle Shaft Snap Ring Question

10K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Ibuildembig 
#1 ·
Hey all, I searched and have called some axle manufacturers and have not been able to get a definitive answer on this.

My buddy is building a TJ and using a Fullwidth 60 up front that is HP, Kingpin, 4.10 ratio stock, Disc Brake, from an 86 Ford. He's running single wheel hubs up front with Warn locking hubs.

We pulled the axle apart to have the joints replaced and to go through and replace all the seals and repack the bearings. The joints we had done by Fleetpride in CT. Here is what we got back.

I personally was there when these axle shafts were taken out and I remember them as having the snap rings. So when we got the axle shafts back from Fleetpride there is no snap ring groove on the outers. I called the guy we both get our axles from and he says we don't need it. Fleetpride also says they don't think they mixed up our outers but that doesn't explain the snap rings magically appearing in the axle.

What would you all do? Is it time for a 35 spline upgrade?

Thanks,
S

See less See more
#2 ·
Well you could replace to the 35 spline outers if you want to, but if you have the old snap ring, which it looks like you do, it would tell me someone screwed up somewhere at the shop that installed the ujoints.

#3 ·
yeah, thats priority #1. Tell them they screwed up, get the right parts back. Then, if they can't get it for some reason, demand 35 spline upgrades, lol. You may not "need" it, but I don't like the thought of running somebody elses stub shafts. You never know what abuse they've been through.

#5 ·
Yeah that's why every one has them from the factory. I call bullshit on Dana saying that. As far as what I would do, same as the other guys, either get your stubs back, or make them pay you the difference to upgrade. About 10 years ago when you couldn't get a 35 spline for a Ford, I used a GM stub and cut it down (thus resulting in snap ring slot loss)...I since sold the rig and he is still running the stubs I cut down....so really you don't have to use it, but I wouldn't trust it on anything but a toy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.