Pirate 4x4 banner

Rod ends or 1 ton TRE for steering

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  br0nc0xrapt0r 
#1 ·
I slipped and fell into some money and I am about to purchase the parts for my new steering links.

The options I was looking at was either 1 ton TRE's or 7/8" QA1 rod ends. I know a lot of this boils down to personal preference but what is the better option? I do drive highway miles and I do plan to add a ram assist.

#2 ·
I would do TRE.

I don't like rod ends for street vehicles that do not see IMPECCABLE maintenance.

You know what they say about opinions and assholes...

BTW, which base are you on?

#4 ·
I prefer 1-ton Drag link ends, when I can run a taper. If I have to run one joint on the top of an arm, and one below though, obviously I am stuck with the heims.

Cant beat a taper, greasability, castle nut + cotter pin, and way more adjustment threads.

I am not a big fan of the 1 ton TREs, as they cant handle the angle of the big gay monster trucks down here.

#5 ·
Ok thanks for the replies I was worried about the angle but since I plan to run it TRO and I have a drop arm it shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention it is a bit cheaper than the rod ends.

#7 · (Edited)
37x12.50R17 looking to go to 38.5 next 69 early bronco 302 swapping to 351W front is a 76 EB Dana 44 when finished will have 4340 shafts aussie locker and 4.88's approx 5.5 inches of suspension lift.

#8 ·
Ive ran both- currently have 3/4" rod ends that are about 4 years old now and my rig gets street driven quite a bit. The slop is very minor IMHO and is just a light clunk sound at low speeds. I can still do 75 down interstate with two fingers on the steering wheel.

I think its a toss up at this point. Heims are stronger but louder (eventually). TRE's are quiet, stay tight, but weaker.

Pick your poison.

#10 ·
#12 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.