Pirate 4x4 banner

transfer case help!

618 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  georgiaboy2500HD 
#1 ·
my buddy has built a '97 ranger... its got a D60 front/rear from a chevy 1 ton truck... its on 44" boggers right now but he plans to go to 46"... the truck currently still has the 4.0L v6 and 2wd trans just so i can be moved around. he is going with either a 350 or a 400 small block chevy, and most likely a th350 trans, what we need help with is the transfer case... this guy that lives next to me has an old lifted ford (about a '75 or so)... and it looks like the transfer case front output hangs down way low, so im assuming its a divorced t-case. this is really what he needs since the truck is so high up and has a low pinion chevy front axle... i know some older dodge trucks came with a divorced t-case, but i dont know what make/kind of t-case that is... what would you guys suggest? he is ready to do the drivetrain finally on this thing so we need help

#3 ·
you misread, it has a chevy front axle and will have chevy drivetrain, but the truck is so tall, and since the chevy front axle is a low pinion, we were thinking of a divorced t-case so the front output hangs down lower to take up for the angle the front shaft will be at... i dont think chevys came with divorced cases, but i know older dodges did and they had passenger side axles like a chevy. its either that or go with a chevy t-case and hope the angle will be alright! just looking for input

#4 ·
He didn't misread anything, Chevy dana 60's are passenger drop, and ford cases are driver drop... To answer your question, just find a divorced 205 from an old dodge. Next, this is the ford forum, this question should have either gone to the newb section or the chevy section. Just because you have a ford ranger body, doesn't mean it's a ford. :homer:

#5 · (Edited)
yes there was some misreading. the drivetrain will be COMPLETELY chevy. with the exception of the D60 rear and possible transfer case options. there is no ford involved here other than the body and frame. and yes thats the answer i was looking for... a dodge divorced 205. okay, so ill be on the lookout for that, and yea with this truck being a mut i wasnt really sure where to put this, being it *was* a ford ranger, i assumed put it in the ford section- ill be weary next time. thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.