Pirate 4x4 banner

F100 extending radius arms/4wd conversion

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  CHOPPEDBII 
#1 ·
I searched and didn't find anything on this topic so I thought I would ask the question to see what y'all thought about the idea came up with. I am doing a 4wd conversion to a 76 F100 with a 79 D44 from a Bronco. I am trying to do an "on the cheap build" and was thinking of ways to reuse some stuff I have laying around when I had an idea.

the long TIB arms that go from passengr side to driver side and vice-versa are identical to the radius arms (I beam style) on the D44 but the are longer and have a bolt running threw a rubber joint. what I was thinking of doing is using them to chop the radius arm in half then extend them and make a bracket like alot of you have done when useing heims. I plan to beef them up by laying steel inside of the "I" like when you wrist an arm.

if y'all need pics I can probably get them up, but I was realy just wondering if y'all thought that would be unsafe? I am building this to drive on the street from time to time but mostly off road.

and yes, I am looking for a 60 but like I said...I am trying to go on the cheap and the D44 is already here and payed for.

#3 · (Edited)
to be completely honest, I think it will probably be just as much work as building a wristed arm. and if you look at SquattyD's arms it will probably be as much work as that. the only reason I am looking at it is I got everything here and I am trying to go for the "bang for the buck" factor...I am realy just intersted in knowing opinions on strength. I plan to drive this to work every once in a while and I don't want to be unsafe with my links.

I will try to get some pictures up today to show everyone what I am talking about

#8 ·
I think I am going to try it and see what happens. I plan to leave one of the arms wristed, so that might be an interesting combo too. extending my arms is my only good option I think, it is either that or build some crapy drop brackets for the existing 2wd brackets.

one positive of going this rought is the only cost I am going to have is the 1/2" steel to beef the arms and about a days worth of fab time. I will post some pics when I get something together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.