Pirate 4x4 banner

Method for eliminating axle wrap

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Blown349 
#1 ·
what is the best way to eliminate axle wrap while not impacting clearance issues? I'd like to keep the axle in place while pulling a sled an also while driving in the back country of Oregon. From what I understand ladder bars done provide the best articulation while offroad, wondering if a 2-link setup would work better.

#2 ·
Two link set up is the way to go, but will require a lot of cycling suspension and measuring to get the lengths exact that will not create bind and hinder flex.
Autofab in San diego sells one for full size broncos that could be made to work. John, could help you understand the key to the length and preserving flex.

#5 ·
We make a single style bar, with weld-on axle tabs. It was designed for sled, drag, and daily driving.

They are on the long side though, to hinder the suspension the least amount. I dont know what type of wheeling you are doing, if hanging the bar on something is a cause for concern.

#6 ·
The length from the CL of the axle to the front spring mount is the radius the axle travels. Longer or shorter than that with rigid mounts on both ends will cause binding.
I use a set of cal-trac bars, they work very well for me.

#7 ·
Well the truck is more or less set up for sled, but occassionally it does farm/ranch work that requires me to make my own roads, however nothing like some of the heavily modded rigs on here experience, the truck is by no means a 'trail-rig'.
Looking at getting a set of Nittos either 35-37 for sled pulling and random adventures this summer, soo those will limit my general 'trail=readiness'
I had planned on putting heims on each end of the bars to offer better articulation, although there are more manueverable joints, however there name escapes me at this moment.
Should the bars be mounted to an axle truss? or inside of the leafs, or ??? some other position im forgetting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.