Pirate 4x4 banner

97 to 99+ Lift difference

833 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jlake1 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to help out a buddy. Back in 01 I talked him into buying a 4" lift for his 97 F350. So he decided to put it on this weekend (yeah, it's 9 years old). He did the back first (full spring kit) and it was fine. He's trying to do the front, and it appears the Skyjacker kit he bought is actually for a 99+ Super Duty :shaking:

Anyway, since he has no recourse with a shop / manufacturer / etc., what's going to be the extent of the issues? Off the bat it looks like the Trackbar mount is different, no idea on pitman arm yet, sway bar mounts look off, and springs are unknown.

At this point, he's got some takeoff 37x12.50R16.5 Goodyears coming via truck freight any day, so he's sort of committed.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions....

Edit: Lift PN from Skyjacker is IF946M

Thanks,
Jay

#2 · (Edited)
Everything up front is different. Different pitman arm spline indexing, front spring length, trac bar bracket, sway bar mounts, u-bolts, shocks....everything.

He screwed himself there unfortunately. Might as well take it off, buy the right kit, and try to sell that one while it is still in like-new condition.

#5 ·
Your buds truck is gonna look like a stink bug for a bit!!:p I have a 97 too and aftermarket stuff for 97-99 can be confusing as Ford was retooling for the 99 model year. I've read there was no 98 model year, they are just continuations of 97.

Please post up what lift he goes with for his 97 as like to do the same. Have heard that Skyjacker has a good kit, but do you have to order for the 96 year to get it right??

#6 ·
He ordered the correct front Kit from a local Skyjacker distributor and we got it already. Would have been installed, except that they didn't put the correct bushings in the springs. (Yes, even the bushing size is different).

It's a 4" kit with new pitman arm and trackbar re-location bracket. Shocks from the old kit were able to work. He cheaped out on the sway bar end links, so we're just going to cut and lengthen the stock ones. I think he's all done spending money on this thing.

Fordbronco1966,
He will have the front springs (w/ bushings!) track bar relocation bracket, and pitman arm for your 99. You would have to add shocks, sway bar end links (or disconnect it) and take care of the brake lines. Oh, and of course, something for the rear.

Make an offer if you wish, or I'll try and get pics. Shipping might be a b!tch depending on how far from MI you are. Those springs are heavy!

Jay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.