Pirate 4x4 banner

75 bronco wont start

825 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Freedombyforce 
#1 ·
Okay, here goes we have 75 bronco, rock crawler rig that currently wont start. last weekend we replaced the alternator and had the battery checked as it wasn't charging and started hard. battery tested good at 2 different locations. thought we had the bugs worked out but then she stalled and wont start for nothing. we replaced the starter selenoid, but haven't checked the starter yet... now the bugger is, the alternator and starter and selonoid are less than a year old with only a few weekends of use on each. They tested the selonoid and apparently there is constantly (about 3V) power going through it even when shut off... Do to some melted wiring, I did some patching and splicing last fall and the only thing we can figure is that there is something wired wrong to be causing all these electrical issues... we also replaced the nuetral safety switch this spring. We think everything is related, but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas what could be causing massive issues with the electrical starting system???

#2 ·
First of all, we need to know if the engine is actually cranking or not to go any further with a diagnosis. Does nothing happen when you hit the key?? Does the engine barely or not crank at all?? or does it crank over just fine, but just not RUN??

#4 · (Edited)
Hrm. The engine isn't turning. All we get is a faint electronic clicking sound, which is why they thought is was the selonoid. It doesn't sound like the starter turning to me, but I could be wrong. I suppose i should pull the starter and have it tested. I"m sure there has to be something else wrong to be causing these parts to keep failing, but I haven't a clue as to what.

#6 ·
I would bet that it is the starter itself. Take you a nice size hammer and hit the sides and the back of the starter while someone else is holding the key in the start position.... make sure the truck isnt in gear! Then put the hammer in the truck cuz you will need it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.