Pirate 4x4 banner

leaf spring and 3 link sas questions 01 ranger

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  rebeledge 
#1 ·
im tryin to get atleast 8 inches of lift in the rear without blocks, i found a good deal on some 54 inch chevy springs 4 and 6 inch lift for 73-91 chevy, does anyone know how much lift that will give me on my ranger? also does anyone know how to achieve those 8-10 inches with the 63 inch springs? i plan on doing a 3 link up front with coilovers, so i am looking for all the help i can get on setting this up such as what parts i need how to get the most flex best mounts to use and stuff like that. i will be using a 44 and 9 inch rearend off a 79 f150

#4 ·
you want to be low and wide rather than tall and skinny.
That's good advice. On buddies trucks I've helped work on, a general rule of thumb that we try and follow is that you want the measurement from the outside of your tires to not be more than the height from the ground to the roof of your roof. Or at least to try and keep the 2 numbers close if it gets tall. A truck that's really tall is cool looking especially with a set of 44s on it......

...and that's about it.

A lot of this is common sense, but it amazes me how many people, even with all the shit out there to help people learn how to build an alright truck, end up with a really really tall truck with awesome running gear........That really ends up being quite useless. Too tall in the dunes and you really risk rolling it. Too tall in the mud, and the minute your tires drop on one side into a rut made by a 44" tire, you risk rolling it. On the street, if you need to swerve to avoid something you risk rolling. And don't even try rock crawling with a truck that's got 2 or 3 ft of lift and 44s. Not cool. The risks really outweigh the benefits in all honesty.

Stock or small lifted suspension with HUGE amounts of cut fenders > Huge lift and stock fenders

#6 ·
Yeah, we put 35's on a ranger with just a torsion crank and cut the fenders all to hell. The front suspension hated the big meats but it worked for a while to the SAS took care of all that. He was still only about 4 inches taller suspension wise when all was said and done. He only did that to clear 38's.

#7 ·
yeah i see exactly what yall are saying from a rock crawling standpoint, which i will take it crawling a few times just fro shits and giggles while i live in washington for the next 8 months, but it is gonna be for mudbogs after that cause i will be moving back to illinois where everything is flat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.