Any ideas? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Any ideas?

I have a 94 Taurus with a 3.0 single cam that I am entering into the Bomber class at the 2nd annual Morris Mountain Rock Rally.

http://morrismountainorv.com/mmorvfo...p?topic=1305.0

I am experiencing some issues with the cooling system. Yes, the fan is coming on. High only when A/C is on. So I leave the A/C on. So far I have installed a new coolant temp switch. Installed new radiator. Drained and flushed cooling system. Installed the Blue Devil. It is still running hot! Performed a HydroCarbon test and shows no signs of head gasket leak in my tester. BUT I still am having cooling problems. I am going to try a new water pump out Monday.

It only get's in the red when I'm on it hard for about 5 minutes or more. It builds up pressure in like 45 seconds or less. I started out with a 16 pound cap and went down to a 13 pounder. It is not boiling over to the reservoir tank. First test run I pulled it back in the shop and opened the hood. Upper radiator hose was about to bust. It was swollen as big as my fist. The water pump seems to be pushing water though. Like I said it does not show signs of hydrocarbon in the coolant. When you take cap off and high rev it water shoots out of top radiator like a gisser. Any thoughts? Sorry I'm not the best at describing things.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by bad80cj-7; 05-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
bad80cj-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
I'd find a way to keep the fan on high without the AC, that should help. Toggle switch or something. I'm sure by now you've checked the thermostat. Maybe the radiator is too small for as hard as you're running it? Does it overheat if you run it normally?
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules083 View Post
I'd find a way to keep the fan on high without the AC, that should help. Toggle switch or something. I'm sure by now you've checked the thermostat. Maybe the radiator is too small for as hard as you're running it? Does it overheat if you run it normally?

It does not see any road time. lol
Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123683
Guess not. lol. You're cutting it up that much, get a radiator from an 80's crown vic and jam it in there. They're fairly short and wide, might just fit.
Jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 142280
Are you sure its actually overheating? if its not boiling over or pushing out the cap then it seems like it might just be a sender or guage problem? Definitely bypass the A/C and keep the fans on high. If you are getting good flow, then the water pump is obviousely working and the thermostat is opening. Stick a temp probe in the radiator or use an infrared gun to see what it's actually running at.

JETTSCOTT: "That shit makes NASCAR look like retarded baby turtles racing across a molasses covered Monopoly board."
Idaho Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Hillbilly View Post
Are you sure its actually overheating? if its not boiling over or pushing out the cap then it seems like it might just be a sender or guage problem? Definitely bypass the A/C and keep the fans on high. If you are getting good flow, then the water pump is obviousely working and the thermostat is opening. Stick a temp probe in the radiator or use an infrared gun to see what it's actually running at.
I see what you are saying. I will give you and example. Small shop. I have it parked out back. I start the bitch and pull it around the building. No more than 35-45 seconds tops. Shut it off. Pulled hood. Opened cap. Got shot in nadds with coolant from pressure. ?????? I can pull the oil dip stick after letting it idle for 50 minutes and it is no longer milky and not to hot to the touch. ???

Last edited by bad80cj-7; 05-21-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Hillbilly View Post
Are you sure its actually overheating? if its not boiling over or pushing out the cap then it seems like it might just be a sender or guage problem? Definitely bypass the A/C and keep the fans on high. If you are getting good flow, then the water pump is obviously working and the thermostat is opening. Stick a temp probe in the radiator or use an infrared gun to see what it's actually running at.
It got towed in. I took it for the towing bill. Cracked radiator. Non working temp switch. Water in oil. Broken thermostat. = blown head gaskets. Fixed the head gaskets with mechanic in a bottle. I think???? Blue Devil. No more water in the oil. No thermo, Working temp switch. Fans only come on when A/C is on. Yet never reads above NORMAL during idle. Will break out the temp gage this weekend. Maybe wrong temp switch? I took it out of an exploder of the same vitage.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Could it be as simple as bad hoses not hold presure and expanding? I will make a toggel to manualy have fan on at all times. Turn the cold off and see what we have. Still though how can you explain the presure? I'm talking myself into just pulling the heads.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
MASTER TECH

Member # 54844
its still has a blown head gasket. when you flushed the coolant you removed the HC that your tested uses to show that the heads blown ( blue water tester ? )

if you remove the radiator cap when she is some what cooland start it - if it comes spraying out, pumping out etc. its blown. it is very common on the 3.0 i have done quite a few head jobs on the 3.0, some bearly overheated. most do what you are discribing.

the radiator hose is swelling due to steam pressure, as is the sudden busts or radiator temp / pressure
: me fuckers

build up of the truggy
/forum/ford/544813-update-pics.html
f250rollinon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250rollinon37s View Post
its still has a blown head gasket. when you flushed the coolant you removed the HC that your tested uses to show that the heads blown ( blue water tester ? )

if you remove the radiator cap when she is some what cooland start it - if it comes spraying out, pumping out etc. its blown. it is very common on the 3.0 i have done quite a few head jobs on the 3.0, some bearly overheated. most do what you are discribing.

the radiator hose is swelling due to steam pressure, as is the sudden busts or radiator temp / pressure
I have run the piss out of it. And did the test. I will man up and pull the heads. I was just trying to not have to do it. stupid i know.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 2785
When I'm testing it I am at 3/4 to full thottle all 10 minutes.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41097
Send a message via MSN to mustange70
Yeah something is blocking water flow, as it shouldn't be shooting out of the rad cap when you pull it, head gaskets for sure.

Hardgrass Havoc It'll only be bigger, better, & tougher next year
mustange70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 2785
Thanks for the reply's. I'm also building this if your interested.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13654
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm