Pirate 4x4 banner

Any ideas?

990 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  LeviGarrett76 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 94 Taurus with a 3.0 single cam that I am entering into the Bomber class at the 2nd annual Morris Mountain Rock Rally.

http://morrismountainorv.com/mmorvforum/index.php?topic=1305.0

I am experiencing some issues with the cooling system. Yes, the fan is coming on. High only when A/C is on. So I leave the A/C on. So far I have installed a new coolant temp switch. Installed new radiator. Drained and flushed cooling system. Installed the Blue Devil. It is still running hot! Performed a HydroCarbon test and shows no signs of head gasket leak in my tester. BUT I still am having cooling problems. I am going to try a new water pump out Monday.

It only get's in the red when I'm on it hard for about 5 minutes or more. It builds up pressure in like 45 seconds or less. I started out with a 16 pound cap and went down to a 13 pounder. It is not boiling over to the reservoir tank. First test run I pulled it back in the shop and opened the hood. Upper radiator hose was about to bust. It was swollen as big as my fist. The water pump seems to be pushing water though. Like I said it does not show signs of hydrocarbon in the coolant. When you take cap off and high rev it water shoots out of top radiator like a gisser. Any thoughts? Sorry I'm not the best at describing things.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Steve

See less See more
#5 ·
Are you sure its actually overheating? if its not boiling over or pushing out the cap then it seems like it might just be a sender or guage problem? Definitely bypass the A/C and keep the fans on high. If you are getting good flow, then the water pump is obviousely working and the thermostat is opening. Stick a temp probe in the radiator or use an infrared gun to see what it's actually running at.

#6 · (Edited)
I see what you are saying. I will give you and example. Small shop. I have it parked out back. I start the bitch and pull it around the building. No more than 35-45 seconds tops. Shut it off. Pulled hood. Opened cap. Got shot in nadds with coolant from pressure. ?????? I can pull the oil dip stick after letting it idle for 50 minutes and it is no longer milky and not to hot to the touch. ???

#8 ·
Could it be as simple as bad hoses not hold presure and expanding? I will make a toggel to manualy have fan on at all times. Turn the cold off and see what we have. Still though how can you explain the presure? I'm talking myself into just pulling the heads. :(

#9 ·
its still has a blown head gasket. when you flushed the coolant you removed the HC that your tested uses to show that the heads blown ( blue water tester ? )

if you remove the radiator cap when she is some what cooland start it - if it comes spraying out, pumping out etc. its blown. it is very common on the 3.0 i have done quite a few head jobs on the 3.0, some bearly overheated. most do what you are discribing.

the radiator hose is swelling due to steam pressure, as is the sudden busts or radiator temp / pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.