Pirate 4x4 banner

Need a new turbo for the tow rig

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  barebackjake 
#1 ·
99 F-350 Powerstroke, bone stock. Just pulled the turbo off and it's completely shot. Anyone have any ideas what to get? I found a rebuilt one for 645, a brand new from Ford for 1600, and there's tons of aftermarket stuff ranging from $1600 to $3000 plus. I don't plan on building the motor up, the most I'll ever do is intake and chip, and probably not even that. Thanks for any advise.

#5 · (Edited)
I just went and looked, it was built in july 98, so I guess it's considered an early 99. All the ones I've been seeing have been for a 99.5-2003, I wonder what the differance is? Time for more research.

*edit* it's an early 99 for sure. There's a big difference for sure, ford must have changed the whole truck around. The u-bolts for the springs are even differant.

#10 · (Edited)
The OBS turbo is not the same as an early 99 turbo. Early 99 was a limited run (about 1/2 of a model year) turbo that is unique to those before and after it.
Jules you have a pm.

#12 · (Edited)
yeah if you have an early the pedistal, upipes, intake y, and intake plenums are differnt. That would add quite a bit to doing a gt38r or a van turbo. like someone else said the d66 from ****** would be a good choice and less money. but more than likely your upipes are worn and leaky. you could get the good uppipes and non ebpv pedistal from DI you would just need to locate a late 99-03 ypipe and intake plenums, which when I swapped my 97 to the van turbo they were easy to find. And your early 99 y pipe is a hot item that would be easy to sell. It is needed for the OBS trucks to intercool them.

if you have more questions too www.powerstrokenation.com is a great place to be around for your truck.

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the advise. I had to be the guy to pick a truck that has a turbo for half of a model year. :shaking:

I'll look into a d66, and look at what the guys at powerstroke.org have to say. It seems like a lot of the guys there are still trying to figure out what a locking hub is, but I'm sure there are guys there that know what they are talking about.

I haven't looked at powerstroke nation yet, I'll check that out in the morning. It's bedtime now, have a lot of driving to do tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.