Pirate 4x4 banner

99 F350 DD Project

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bsfarmer 
#1 ·
Hey gang, got some questions on a '99 F350 DRW truck I am picking up.I searched, but still came up empty handed on a few questions. I can ditch the front adapters and convert it to SRW correct? I am wanting to lift it 6"s with cut-away bushwackers (and whatever other trimming needed lol) and run 46" XML's w/ 2 piece rims. What is the max backspacing I would want to use before I'm investing into pricey bearings? I was told since its a F350 that the front end is actually a ball-joint D60 rather than the D50, so I'm not sure if it still has the weak expensive bearings or not. I was hoping somebody would have a similar setup, because I can presume that I will need to move the front axle forward an inch or so? Any insight would be appreciated.

#5 ·
so if you dont put it in 4wd the front end may hold up, however the brakes and balljoints might hate you. as for the rear you will still have issues especially towing. Ive im not mistaken those tires weigh in over 250lbs each?? Not only is the diameter going to add huge amounts of stress to the axles, the weight is even more of an issue. My opinion, its a bad idea. Do as you will.

#6 ·
Yes you can ditch the lug adapters and run a 8x170mm pattern rim, but why? You need custom rims made anyway with the tires you want to run. Might as well have 10-lug pattern. Both the D60 and D50 are balljoint, take the same balljoints, unit bearings, lockouts. Only difference is the outer steering knuckle that the brake caliper bracket bolts to, as well as the brake calipers. The axle housing is 1 or 2 inches wider than a SRW, IIRC. I'm not fresh up on the rear ends, I know they are really friggin tough, but I would imagine is much narrower than the front. I think you would have a hard time getting the front and rear to match up in a SRW configuration.

I agree with 4xbronco, either pic a smaller tire or go rockwells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.