Pirate 4x4 banner

Runnin my '79 on the timing tree

4K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  AllGoNoShow 
#1 ·
Got everything finished up on my truck and got to do a few test runs on the timing system, .5 second faster then last year so far. So that ain't too bad I guess. Need abit of practice on the timing tree but other then that she's workin pretty good!!
YouTube - 1979 F250 aka Hillbilly Rockstar

#13 ·
yeah I have my days where I miss trail riding, but the breakage and cost was getting out of control, not to mention all the environmental issues going on. Just seemed easier and cheaper to go mud racing instead HAHA. I have my first race on the 19th, so I should have some footage shortly after that.

#14 ·
alright, ill keep an eye out for it on your youtube page. i understand what you mean about the parts breakage, and im sure your 532 doesnt have very good mileage, my 400 with a holley 500 2bbl only gets 8 mph, and its an all stock engine. with the cost of parts and time in repairing, and fuel in general and my rather low spending budget i can only go trail riding every so often at that.

#19 · (Edited)
These are the tilt front clip pics, I will get some of my snorkle setup as soon as the wind dies down abit out here LOL

This is the hinge system, really simple, bolts to the bottom of the rad support (my rad is in the box)

I did the tilt with the hood off to make it easier to work on

I gutted the inside of the hood to shed some more weight, stock hood weighs 90lbs, gutted weighed 53lbs

I used some 1" aluminum flat bar to brace the back part of the fenders to the cab

The stuff you can't really see in the pics: I used some cable from the rad support to the frame to stop the hood from tilting too much.
I also used some 1" aluminum flat bar on the front section of the fender that slides inside of the rear section when you close the hood to keep them from shaking when the engine is running.

I used some 3/8s thick rubber in between the hood and fenders, drilled three holes on each side and bolted the hood to the top of the fenders. I used some hood pins, welded to the top of the inner fender support that is bolted to the firewall, drilled the hole through the hood. So now I just pull the two pins, and pull the front clip open, pretty easy, and your back will thank you anytime you're working on the motor. I also used two pins through the hinges, that way I can have the entire front end of in a matter of seconds.

#20 ·
damn that is quite ingenious man, your truck is amazing and ill definately say your an inspiration to me. and i noticed that you still have shackles on your anti-wrap bars and i remember reading on your original build thread that you planned to remove them since it was the end of your trail riding days.

#21 ·
yeah the ladder bars are off, they were pretty beat up from the trail riding we did, I don't seem to have much for axle wrap since I have no blocks under the rear springs anymore.

Heres a shot of the cable I put in, cheap and simple

And here is the pics of my snorkle setup, also fairly cheap and simple.

This is looking up from the bottom

The pipe is a 5" 90* elbow from a kenworth, I cut and turned it to meet the angles I needed. I used another short piece of the same pipe, welded three tabs on, cut the hole in the firewall and bolted the new 'flange' in place

You can just see the filter under the dash here, tucked up and out of the way, no one will be able to kick it, its easy to take out for cleaning, and there is no way it should ever get wet.

Heres a top view, the carb hat is from Extreme Velocity, its actually used for supercharged engines with carbs. This piece was NOT cheap, but with a 4500 series carb, your choices are slim. If you have a 4150 series standard carb, Spectre makes a bunch of carb hats for dirt cheap that would do the same task. The rubber couplers are pieces of soft wall rubber hose I found, with some good quality clamps on there, I don't see much moisture getting in at all.

#22 ·
i like the clip setup, its nice but not practical for me at all, i only plan to have my engine and tranny out once and thats for my engine rebuild, just a mild cam, new pistons and replace all the bearings and seals. and am i correct to assume the flange for your snorkel setup goes into the blower motor seat for the old heater core?

#25 ·
Friggin tits :smokin:

Just curious, did you go to the smaller tires due to the width issue? Just asking, because I know you run allot of drags and if yours are anything like mine; the width of the 44's try to climb the walls and put you on your side versus running the smaller tires that are easier to keep in the lane.

#27 ·
To some extent yes, the wider tires use to rule the pits around here, but they have changed in the last couple years and the skinny 38.5s seem to do the best so I decided to change with the times. These tires I'm running now are 50lbs lighter each compared to the 39.5x18s so I should be able to turn them faster and hopefully do better then before.

Thanks for the pics!
No problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.