Pirate 4x4 banner

brakes on obs

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  outfitter540 
#1 · (Edited)
my brakes are pretty much done for. i rebuilt the front calipers about a year and a half ago and i rebuilt the rear drums about 5 months ago. the parking brake barely holds even after adjustment and the brakes feel spongy even after bleeding. i want to do a disk brake swap in the rear but no one seems to know if there are ready made brackets that will fit a dually though. i'd like to replace the brake lines and put line locks on as an extra parking brake. as for the real parking brake i'm thinking about using a driveline brake. i'd like to put some sort of parking pawl on as a positive stop but i'm not sure how. one problem is the proportioning valve. all the electronics are gone and the tone ring in the rear diff wasn't there when i got it. it's my understanding that the proportioning valve on the late 80's early 90's f350s were tied into the abs and i do see wires coming out of it. also how do these work with disk brake set ups? i'd like to find a way to use either a load sensing proportioning valve or rear abs so that the rear axle can do as much work as possible without locking up. even though the rear end doesnt have the tone ring i have an autometer sender unit for my speedometer. i thought about a regular adjustable proportioning valve but then i'd have to test it under different loads to figure out the setting for each load and one size doesn't fit all. this is my trail/tow/daily driver/work truck so i want brakes that work good

#3 ·
Find a F-superduty (pre 97 f-450) in a wrecking yard. They have a load sensing proportioning valve as well as a master cylinder designed to run rear disks. F-350s of that era did not have a load sensing proportioning valve. Grab the hydroboost unit as well. To be safe you can grab the RABS module out of it too, I don't know if there is a difference between the RABS module for disks or drums. You will need the tone ring in order for the VSS in the rear axle to do anything and activate the RABS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.