Pirate 4x4 banner

oil pump upgrade on a small block?

749 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  FORDTECHGURU 
#1 · (Edited)
so if i was a GM guy i can find the answer, but i need to know about my 5.0

i recently pulled the bottom end, bad knock, but had good oil pressure, i did have a couple of rolls, but generally shut the engine down right away

every main and rod had serious wear/lines, (did i do this), the engine did not knock on its 1st trip (only have 2 trips on this used motor))

this was used engine out of an 5.0 explorer, one day at the hammers and a bad knock developed, so im not sure if i did it or it was just time for that engine.

so im doing a bottom end, should i go with a high volume oil pump, do fords have oiling problems at angles like the newer GMs?

will a high volume pump just hurt me by sucking the pan dry?

engine is mostly stock, except cam,
im running the stock pan, maybe i should add some baffles?

since im doing the crank right now, and dont want to do it again any time soon, what else should i do?

I cant afford some $500 baffled oil pan

See less See more
#2 ·
I baffled my stock pan myself.. I am not aware of an oil pressure issue, I just rebuilt the 5.0 for mine and I did not use a high volume pump. The guy that did my machine work told me to be carful on a high volume pump that he has seen them cut the bearings?? not sure what the situation was to do that but he convinced me to stay with a standard pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.