A4ld problems...wtf - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78288
A4ld problems...wtf

hey guys i have a 85 bronco II with the a4ld, when i got it it seemed to be decent. i have to give it alot of gas to get moving, and its constantly going in and out of lockup and in and out of 4th going about 55. also i have busted a weld on a stud conecting the torque converter to the flexplate and i have a slight leak comming from there. anyways at about 55-57 mph when it goes in od i get a nasty vibration from my rig...i mean the whole thing violantly shakes up and down like an out of balance tire or something. its not the tires though it didnt do it before i broke the stud loose on the torque converter when i changed out the rear main seal. ive tried a different driveshaft, but it doesnt feel like d-shaft vibes...like when im driving and it does it i can watch the front end bouncing. i checked the fluid and its fine, all the bellhousing to engine bolts are tight, converter to flexplate bolts are tight, and the transmission mount is fine. any ideas on wtf is going on? is this thing gonna crap out on me? also when it starts shaking, and i give it more gas it doesnt do it as bad, and when i let of the gas it stops

EDIT: also at idle i hear a ticking sound comming from the bellhousing, kinda sounds like valves tapping

Last edited by The_Dealer; 06-22-2010 at 05:59 PM.
The_Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 138061
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dealer View Post
hey guys i have a 85 bronco II with the a4ld, when i got it it seemed to be decent. i have to give it alot of gas to get moving, and its constantly going in and out of lockup and in and out of 4th going about 55. also i have busted a weld on a stud conecting the torque converter to the flexplate and i have a slight leak comming from there. anyways at about 55-57 mph when it goes in od i get a nasty vibration from my rig...i mean the whole thing violantly shakes up and down like an out of balance tire or something. its not the tires though it didnt do it before i broke the stud loose on the torque converter when i changed out the rear main seal. ive tried a different driveshaft, but it doesnt feel like d-shaft vibes...like when im driving and it does it i can watch the front end bouncing. i checked the fluid and its fine, all the bellhousing to engine bolts are tight, converter to flexplate bolts are tight, and the transmission mount is fine. any ideas on wtf is going on? is this thing gonna crap out on me? also when it starts shaking, and i give it more gas it doesnt do it as bad, and when i let of the gas it stops

EDIT: also at idle i hear a ticking sound comming from the bellhousing, kinda sounds like valves tapping

So what is different now than before? Way to use your head.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41653
new converter....advanced auto or auto zone...seriously

yea right..

"They are little angels but they are trying to fuck the wings off each other!"
--Sturgell

Black eyes last but a week, the shame of sodomy lasts a lifetime.-TheRedHorseman
wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 78288
took my 31's off and put on the stock size tires and it doesnt do it nearly as bad, gonnna have to get a t/c, found one at advance for 127.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 138061
You didnt say anything about you had non-stock gear ratio's in it so im going to assume its stock. With larger tires it has to work harder to turn the 31's the same speed as the stockers. Especially in overdrive which makes the problem more noticeable
Old 06-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 78288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belooky View Post
You didnt say anything about you had non-stock gear ratio's in it so im going to assume its stock. With larger tires it has to work harder to turn the 31's the same speed as the stockers. Especially in overdrive which makes the problem more noticeable
yea stock gears, seems like it has good days and bad days, sometimes it will do just fine, other times it will act crazy. i went to check the fluid today(warmed it up, went through the gears, check it in park with motor running) and it was way too full? i dont understand that, it was fine a couple days ago. its not bubbly or burnt smelling and it doesnt have any pieces in it. what would make it do that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.