How do smooth out ride on a Ford F350 4x4 dually - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 162131
How do smooth out ride on a Ford F350 4x4 dually

I need some suggestions concerning a 2006 Ford F-350 SD, CC, XLT4x4, Dually. I have 6 Pro Comp 37x13.50x17 Load Range D tires mounted on 4 MKW wheels and two stock wheels. The stock rims are mounted on the rear inside of the duallys. I have Fox Racing Shocks on all four corners. Would adding another set of shocks and an air bag system all the way around. Help with smoothing out the ride on my truck? After driving for about 4 hours my back is killing me. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Part of the problem could possibly be dealing with tires out of balance.
bens170
bens170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80727
Shocks dont smooth out the ride at all. Shocks damper the suspension so it doesnt feel squishy.

You cant have a lifted dually truck with big load carrying capacity and have it ride like a cadillac without a full airbag suspension so you can set your spring rate to accommodate the weight of the truck in any given trim.

Right now your driving an unloading truck but the springs want to be carrying 10,000 of lbs giving you a stiff as a board ride. The heavy duty shocks and lift and big tires are just adding insult to injury.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 33748
Only run as much air in your tires as you need. If you have no load in it, you don't need to be running 75 pounds of air. Come down to 50-55 pounds or so. Makes a big difference.
Also consider adding dual tanks. Will add some weight and allow you to buy fuel where it is cheap.
4Mogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
How much of a load were you hauling? Was it a gooseneck trailer or bumper pull? Goosenecks tend to ride smoother. If no load, well that's your problem.
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112065
You can switch to Donahue/Icon springs. They are supposed to ride the nicest when it comes to Superduty lifts but then you'll loose some capacity. Since you bought a DRW F350 I'm assuming you need the capacity but since you lifted it and run 37s it doesn't sound like you tow at all so that might be a option for you.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 162131
How to smooth out ride on a Ford F350 4x4 dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
How much of a load were you hauling? Was it a gooseneck trailer or bumper pull? Goosenecks tend to ride smoother. If no load, well that's your problem.
Right now there isn't any load on the truck. Eventually there will be a Lance 1191 Truck camper mounted permanently on the truck. The trailer hitch that I have on the truck is a factory Ford Class V. The hitch will be used to pull an enclosed Wells Cargo trailer in case we have leave in a hurry due to a possible wild fire where I live in Southern California.
Thanks for your help
bens170
Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 162131

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxwell87 View Post
You can switch to Donahue/Icon springs. They are supposed to ride the nicest when it comes to Superduty lifts but then you'll loose some capacity. Since you bought a DRW F350 I'm assuming you need the capacity but since you lifted it and run 37s it doesn't sound like you tow at all so that might be a option for you.
The truck was modified by the previous with a 6 inch lift kit, with ProComp ladder bars for the rear end. Thanks for the advice.
bens170
Old 06-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 162131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Mogger View Post
Only run as much air in your tires as you need. If you have no load in it, you don't need to be running 75 pounds of air. Come down to 50-55 pounds or so. Makes a big difference.
Also consider adding dual tanks. Will add some weight and allow you to buy fuel where it is cheap.
Thanks for the suggestion on the tire pressure. I already have a OEM 38 gallon diesel ford fuel tank on the truck. Here in California it's hard to find cheap diesel fuel. I will give the tire pressure drop a try. It is the cheapest way for me go at this time. I appreciate your suggestion.
bens170
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 162131

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nin89 View Post
Shocks dont smooth out the ride at all. Shocks damper the suspension so it doesnt feel squishy.

You cant have a lifted dually truck with big load carrying capacity and have it ride like a cadillac without a full airbag suspension so you can set your spring rate to accommodate the weight of the truck in any given trim.

Right now your driving an unloading truck but the springs want to be carrying 10,000 of lbs giving you a stiff as a board ride. The heavy duty shocks and lift and big tires are just adding insult to injury.
Thanks for your advice. Once I get the funds together I have been thinking of getting an air bag suspension installed on the truck.
bens170
Old 06-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 161576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bens170 View Post
I need some suggestions concerning a 2006 Ford F-350 SD, CC, XLT4x4, Dually. I have 6 Pro Comp 37x13.50x17 Load Range D tires mounted on 4 MKW wheels and two stock wheels. The stock rims are mounted on the rear inside of the duallys. I have Fox Racing Shocks on all four corners. Would adding another set of shocks and an air bag system all the way around. Help with smoothing out the ride on my truck? After driving for about 4 hours my back is killing me. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. Part of the problem could possibly be dealing with tires out of balance.
bens170
Quote:
Right now there isn't any load on the truck. Eventually there will be a Lance 1191 Truck camper mounted permanently on the truck. The trailer hitch that I have on the truck is a factory Ford Class V. The hitch will be used to pull an enclosed Wells Cargo trailer in case we have leave in a hurry due to a possible wild fire where I live in Southern California.
Thanks for your help
bens170
It sounds to me that you need to get rid of the truck and go get yourself a COOL little honda. When you buy douls you get a stiff ride. and when you lift ANYTHING it will get worse. You said you might haul a 'Wells Cargo' trailer if a fire comes rippin through. You could use a little f-150 to do that, plus they have great ride that way you can stop being a 'Sally' about having a stiff ride. Because it really sounds like you just want the biggest baddest pavement pounder!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 7753
Get some softer springs. Just adding air bags won't help the ride unless you you put soft springs in. A full airbag conversion works too but they can be fussy.
Slowzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crusty Ol' Surveyor

Member # 54654
Quote:
Originally Posted by stynky View Post
It sounds to me that you need to get rid of the truck and go get yourself a COOL little honda. When you buy douls you get a stiff ride. and when you lift ANYTHING it will get worse. You said you might haul a 'Wells Cargo' trailer if a fire comes rippin through. You could use a little f-150 to do that, plus they have great ride that way you can stop being a 'Sally' about having a stiff ride. Because it really sounds like you just want the biggest baddest pavement pounder!!!
It's duals or dually douche. It wasn't a might if he has to skin out, he will be pulling a trailer period.

Great 1st post faggot. Bet he appreciates your insight and helpful advice.

To the OP, what everyone said but the douchebag, it's a one ton rig, she's gonna be stiff. I run my E rated tires full pressure with heavy loads, believe its 80 psi.

I keep they down about 50psi when just running around town. Makes a bit of difference, but may not be as much as you want.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 157768
Let me get this straight, you bought a f-350 dually and expect it to ride well? Easiest way to do that is going to be putting a big load on it, my f-250 rode much better when I put 1700 lbs of welder and gear in it and I assume 2000 lbs will make your truck ride better as well.

Also kiss your load range Ds goodbye pretty quickly if you use your truck a lot. You will put a rock through them on a lease road after about 10-15k miles on a truck that heavy.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Swap front springs and hangers to get the lift. I have used the RE 2.5 hangers with there 4" spring for a six inch lift with success. Pro comp springs are crap. Or use a 4.5 inch hanger and a set of zero rates.

Revalve or replace your shocks.

Might also want to look at your rear springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 22176
Quote:
The truck was modified by the previous with a 6 inch lift kit, with ProComp ladder bars for the rear end. Thanks for the advice.
bens170
Remove the ladder bars and drive it some bind the rear suspension and stiffen the ride.

50psi with 37's max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
If you can make wine in a toilet, you can make wine in Texas.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 162131

Well, earlier today I dropped the air on four tires to 50 psi. Couldn't get to the inside duals. Drove it for about an hour, it made a world of difference. I realize that a ton dually is not a smooth ride as a cadillac or a lincoln. Those two are designed for a different purpose. I have operated many vehicles during my lifetime, especially in the US military. Thanks for all the advice.
Ben
Old 06-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
all those 6 in ch arched lift springs are stiff as hell. Its good advice to dump them and put on a lower lift. Plus, getting that camper on there is gonna make it a bit tippy/wind driven isnt?

PM me for CPR/First Aid Instruction for you club
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote