TRC-79 bronco build thread - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 206038
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.r.c View Post
I dropped the tank and played around with the shackle hangers today, and I could use some opinions on how far to move the hangers.

Heres the shackle angle at full droop with the hanger pushed forward 4"

Here's the shackle angle at full droop with the hanger pushed forward 3"

Any opinions on whether I should push it 3" or 4" forward?
I played around with the shackle angle on my bronco a lot. My train of thought was this: full droop would be a " neutral point". I wanted to balance mine between stuff and droop evenly. So 90* at droop, and 45* at ride height, and 180* at max stuff would be in the middle. Anyway, it worked out well enough for me. 3" is what I'm saying. I just want to tell you that for a high school kid you have a lot of skill. I commend you for taking that path, instead of the one that too many kids take these days. I also want to tell you to thank your dad for being such a good father and mentor. I am just building my first rig at 35. Your head start is a direct result of your father. Mine was no mechanic, yet I turned out to be one. Just goes to show that you're born with it, but if you're dad is born with it too, you're really lucky. You have an awesome shop at your disposal, and you're a lucky kid. I don't speak to my father anymore, and it suck's. Merry Christmas, and enjoy having a good family! My ex wife's son is gonna be 17 in January and is constantly in juvenile hall or on house arrest. Unfortunately, he has no positive role model (like you do) and lives in a city where he is surrounded by mostly undesirable people that were imported from another country. Not that that is an excuse, but it makes it easier to make the wrong choice. Enjoy your truck, and your dad.

Last edited by likmytaint; 12-22-2011 at 01:05 AM.
likmytaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:12 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 46318
The 3'' forward will work best.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Quote:
Originally Posted by likmytaint View Post
I played around with the shackle angle on my bronco a lot. My train of thought was this: full droop would be a " neutral point". I wanted to balance mine between stuff and droop evenly. So 90* at droop, and 45* at ride height, and 180* at max stuff would be in the middle. Anyway, it worked out well enough for me. 3" is what I'm saying. I just want to tell you that for a high school kid you have a lot of skill. I commend you for taking that path, instead of the one that too many kids take these days. I also want to tell you to thank your dad for being such a good father and mentor. I am just building my first rig at 35. Your head start is a direct result of your father. Mine was no mechanic, yet I turned out to be one. Just goes to show that you're born with it, but if you're dad is born with it too, you're really lucky. You have an awesome shop at your disposal, and you're a lucky kid. I don't speak to father anymore, and it suck's. Merry Christmas, and enjoy having a good family! My ex wife's son is gonna be 17 in January and is constantly in juvenile hall or on house arrest. Unfortunately, he has no positive role model (like you do) and lives in a city where he is surrounded by mostly undesirable people that were imported from another country. Not that that is an excuse, but it makes it easier to make the wrong choice. Enjoy your truck, and your dad.
Thanks for the complements! I realize I'm pretty blessed to have a supportive family that lets me take over their shop every now and again, and help with my projects. As far as staying out of trouble, I greatly contribute that to having this hobby. I'm too broke for drugs or anything like that

I ended up moving the brackets forward 5" (utilizing two of the holes I had already drilled) and moved the shackle to the rear hole in the bracket, thus overall the shackle's mount was pushed forward 3".

Shackle angle at ride height

Shackle angle at full droop

t.r.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 206038
dude where'd your pics go?
Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #80 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 187456
I see the pics fine....
Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 PM   #81 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 206038
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
I see the pics fine....
no the pics thread, not this one
Old 12-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 135803
For the last few days "Supermotors", the website that hosts my pictures, has been having some issues I think. Whenever its down, all pictures I have posted from it don't show up
Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #83 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Updates?
RANGERROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Not too much for updates, works keeping me pretty busy. I ended up having clearance issues with the front cv and the trans oil pan, so I had to move the T-Case back 3". To do that I had to pull the tranny and T-case and tear the c6 apart and put a 3" longer tail-shaft in it. So now I have the c6 just about finished up and ready to go back in. From there i'll have to make new T-case mounts since they've been relocated 3" back on the frame, aswell as re-shorten the rear driveshaft 3". I'll have to get some pictures up when I get a chance.

I ran across this on Craigslist and ended up buying it to drive around until this Bronco's 1-ton swap is done. 1979 Bronco, T-bird 429/c6/205 d44 and it had a 14 bolt rear when I got it. I swapped my old 9" in it so I have a matching bolt pattern again and can use the mtr's. It has no cancer, dual batterys, electric fans, Tom Woods high-angle driveline, 6" lift, blah blah blah... got it for $700

Last edited by t.r.c; 05-01-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 158768
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.r.c View Post
Not too much for updates, works keeping me pretty busy. I ended up having clearance issues with the front cv and the trans oil pan, so I had to move the T-Case back 3". To do that I had to pull the tranny and T-case and tear the c6 apart and put a 3" longer tail-shaft in it. So now I have the c6 just about finished up and ready to go back in. From there i'll have to make new T-case mounts since they've been relocated 3" back on the frame, aswell as re-shorten the rear driveshaft 3". I'll have to get some pictures up when I get a chance.

I ran across this on Craigslist and ended up buying it to drive around until this Bronco's 1-ton swap is done. 1979 Bronco, T-bird 429/c6/205 d44 and it had a 14 bolt rear when I got it. I swapped my old 9" in it so I have a matching bolt pattern again and can use the mtr's. It has no cancer, dual batterys, electric fans, Tom Woods high-angle driveline, 6" lift, blah blah blah... got it for $700

shit like this makes me hate some of you emmeffers that live where salt isn't so heavily used
couldn't find a clean 78/79 bronco for under $3k in the last two months when i was looking, let alone one in that shape with some decent mods. lucky bastards
fatdan460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 210642
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdan460 View Post
shit like this makes me hate some of you emmeffers that live where salt isn't so heavily used
couldn't find a clean 78/79 bronco for under $3k in the last two months when i was looking, let alone one in that shape with some decent mods. lucky bastards
Ain't that the truth, I stopped looking. I got ahold of a 84 F150 cab and thought I bet that will fit on my 79 Bronco frame. Some people solid axle swap their 80+ Broncos, I solid cab swapped my 79.....

Last edited by benjaminshaw80; 02-20-2012 at 11:42 AM.
benjaminshaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #87 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
Kind of thought that was you drove by your new ride shiny nine inch the other night on the way home from work. Just don't make the same mistake alot of us make and get a rig to drive and end up working on that instead of your project truck.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Thanks guys, im glad I live on the west coast, not land of the salty-swiss cheese rigs

The trans crossmember needed some massaging to clear the front driveshaft, so we cut out the conflicting areas and added some tubing and plated it up. Its not 100% done, still need to plate the inside, but this gives you an idea.

and heres the trans/t-case all assembled, just waiting to finish the twin stick linkage.

hopefully more updates this weekend
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 199899
Quote:
Originally Posted by likmytaint View Post
I played around with the shackle angle on my bronco a lot. My train of thought was this: full droop would be a " neutral point". I wanted to balance mine between stuff and droop evenly. So 90* at droop, and 45* at ride height, and 180* at max stuff would be in the middle. Anyway, it worked out well enough for me. 3" is what I'm saying. I just want to tell you that for a high school kid you have a lot of skill. I commend you for taking that path, instead of the one that too many kids take these days. I also want to tell you to thank your dad for being such a good father and mentor. I am just building my first rig at 35. Your head start is a direct result of your father. Mine was no mechanic, yet I turned out to be one. Just goes to show that you're born with it, but if you're dad is born with it too, you're really lucky. You have an awesome shop at your disposal, and you're a lucky kid. I don't speak to my father anymore, and it suck's. Merry Christmas, and enjoy having a good family! My ex wife's son is gonna be 17 in January and is constantly in juvenile hall or on house arrest. Unfortunately, he has no positive role model (like you do) and lives in a city where he is surrounded by mostly undesirable people that were imported from another country. Not that that is an excuse, but it makes it easier to make the wrong choice. Enjoy your truck, and your dad.
There are days that I walk into the shop and wish the rat was a bit more diciplined about how he leaves the place but I can assure you he and his older brother are solid young men and have been a pleasure to raise, work and play with. That they share my passion for all things with a motor is just an added blessing.
I'll Genuinely be sad when he leaves for basic in a few months... the shop wont be the same.. cleaner for sure ... but not the same.
Bentbronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentbronko View Post
There are days that I walk into the shop and wish the rat was a bit more diciplined about how he leaves the place
Hey, I've gotten better

Heres a little more progress...

Got the cross member finished up

and made some Twin stick linkage

Pretty happy with how it came out, very tune-able and hardly any 'slop'
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #91 (permalink)
El Fucko

Member # 104270
What's the orange/copper thingy made of toob in the background?

Ps, cross member looks good.

WTB pulley cover for 1959 Homelite 9-23

Semper Fi
br0nc0xrapt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 135803
The orange/copper thingy made out of tube is our Pinto powered rail we built a couple years ago for my Mom, she got tired of sitting around while we worked on my Dad's Bronco in camp

Old 03-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #93 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 54530
Shackle angle looks way better
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Thanks

Well since my last update i've gotten the trans and T-case in, shortened the rear driveline 3", set the pinion angle and welded the spring perches, centered the axle and welded on the trac bar bracket, installed ra's coils and the trac bar. I still have alot to do, but its slowly coming together.

On a side note, I was recently informed i'm leaving June 5th for basic, as a Crew Cheif on Tactical Aircrafts. I'm hoping to atleast test the Bronco out before I ship out

Last edited by t.r.c; 05-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #95 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
What's the plans for steering?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 135803
The rough plan is to utilize the stock steering and shorten/lengthen the drag-link if needed. But I'm a noob when it comes to steering, so any advice would be great.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #97 (permalink)
P.B.A.

Member # 172656
I've always used chevy ends but my axles are usually chopped down. Never had the luxury of being able to run the stock stuff. I drill and tap 1.25x.220 wall Dom for 7/8-18 right and left hand. Just curious I'm sure it will look good.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #98 (permalink)
USMC

Member # 211204
Dude this thing looks great. Stay focused on your goals on the Bronco and at basic training. Call Jim I know he can help you with the steering questions. Just FYI Jim is the one who designed the long arm kit at Duff, then he was at Cage Offroad before they had to close up, he is now at Bloody Knuckle Garage selling the suspension kits. Good luck on your build I can't wait to see you finish it.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #99 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 177573
Where did you get the cute little baby heims? Those are pimp!
My build: /forum/ford/991042-rockstar-ranger-build.html
5BrothersFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 135803
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERROD View Post
I've always used chevy ends but my axles are usually chopped down. Never had the luxury of being able to run the stock stuff. I drill and tap 1.25x.220 wall Dom for 7/8-18 right and left hand. Just curious I'm sure it will look good.
I'm going to try to utilize as many factory components as I can, I wont always have this shop at my disposal so it'll make it easier on me down the road to be able to pull parts right off the shelf for this.

As for steering, I ended up using half the superduty drag link and half the Bronco drag link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdano View Post
Dude this thing looks great. Stay focused on your goals on the Bronco and at basic training. Call Jim I know he can help you with the steering questions. Just FYI Jim is the one who designed the long arm kit at Duff, then he was at Cage Offroad before they had to close up, he is now at Bloody Knuckle Garage selling the suspension kits. Good luck on your build I can't wait to see you finish it.
Thanks! Jim is actually a long-time family friend, and more recently, my brothers Father-In-Law. He's been awesome throughout the process and I would recomend him to anybody looking to go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5BrothersFabrication View Post
Where did you get the cute little baby heims? Those are pimp!
Those baby heims were left over from my Dad's days in the Air Force... unfortunantly the prop planes he was working on are long fazed-out, so finding them nowadays may prove to be difficult

I've gotten quite a bit done lately, none of it is really picture worthy though. As of now the "to do" list includes:Trans linkage, finish rear shock hoop, run brake lines, starter, carb, twin stick linkage, throw the gas tank in, lay some fiberglass to patch the hole in my ac where the shock hoop now resides, fluids, and some other little stuff.

Its finally sitting on all fours so I took some pictures.

Last edited by t.r.c; 05-01-2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Public Education