Super duty panhard bar - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Ford
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32565
Super duty panhard bar

I have a 2000 F-350. My question is if I switch to a high steer set up do I still need the panhard bar. Or will I still run into bump steer problems if I remove the panhard bar
bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 138949
Send a message via MSN to Havok450 Send a message via Yahoo to Havok450
I would assume that with or without high steer, you will experience some varrying form of bump steer, but I will admit idk anything
Old 12-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 58978
Send a message via Yahoo to seemoremud
Bump steer is a result of the panhard and the drag link being at different angles and lengths. So, if you change the angle of the drag and make it different than the angle of the panhard, then yes you'll get some type of bump steer. How much? Hard to tell from my laptop.

If you remove the panhard, you'll probably experience a worse case of wandering or tracking of the front end. Since it keeps the front axle from shifting side-to-side. . I have never experimented with this scenario, so this is just a guess. But I would think removing the track bar will hurt handling more than having it a few a degrees off from the track bar.

You could look into raising the axle mount, thus keeping them closer to the same angle after going high steer
Old 12-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 32565
Doesn't the leaf springs keep the axle from wandering? I always wondered the reasoning for a panhard bar on a leaf spring suspension. Granted it's a lot older but my 76 3/4 ton chevy doesn't have a panhard bar and it seems to handle just as good as my F-350
bugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 152532
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugger View Post
Doesn't the leaf springs keep the axle from wandering? I always wondered the reasoning for a panhard bar on a leaf spring suspension. Granted it's a lot older but my 76 3/4 ton chevy doesn't have a panhard bar and it seems to handle just as good as my F-350
Don't quote me on this because I'm not as familiar with chevys as fords, but the older chevy trucks had the steering box pushing forward and backward in relation to the driver seat versus the superduty having a link going across the truck. The force of the steering on the axle movement on the chevy is easily controlled by the leaf springs, whereas the steering on the newer ford 1 ton's (86-present) places the load on the side of the spring, thus the need for the trackbar to control side to side movement. It is late, I am drunk, please excuse any grammatical errors.
f350n4.6ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 27775
We have Hi steer kits with everything including a new ad track bar..PM if I can help. You Cannot go without a track bar..
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 37866
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
We have Hi steer kits with everything including a new ad track bar..PM if I can help. You Cannot go without a track bar..
X2 I've driven quite a few that had the trac bar removed due a broken mount on the axle and I was not very impressed.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 167672
While you can get away with removing it. It is far from safe and your performance will suffer. It will walk and wander put consdierable lateral stress on the leafs and their mounts. All around a bad idea. Worse yet on a heavy vehicle like a SD.

High steer onthe other had is a excellent idea. You wil be able to dependign on hieght of lift go back to a stadard pitman arm which will greatly reduce stress there. Of course clearnce will be better as well. Bump steer will be greatly reduced/eliminated. Steering effort will also improve. Add a ram assist steering and you will have the best all around steering and control. All nicely up over the axle and out of the way.
TARM is offline   Reply With Quote